hi, i started using VB 2008 recently (with perl background, its a big leap) and having a problem with database.
i am trying to access a database that is attached to a different form. i managed to get my code to work if i was writing on the same form.

example of code that will work just fine

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    For Each row As DataRow In Contact_dataDataSet1.ContactTable.Rows
        If row.Item("LastName").Equals("Singer") Then
            MessageBox.Show(" name = " & row.Item("FirstName"))
        End If
    Next
End Sub

however, when i use the same code on another form, nothing happens although there are no errors. what is troubling is that the msgbox for "hello world" did not even show up. i guess there is a syntax error in my for each loop

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    For Each row As DataRow In form2.Contact_dataDataSet1.ContactTable.Rows
        MsgBox("hello world!!!")
        If row.Item("LastName").Equals("Singer") Then
            MessageBox.Show(" name = " & row.Item("FirstName"))
        End If
    Next
End Sub

in addition to that, suppose i do not want to loop through the whole database to find lastname = singer, how am i able to obtain the firstname or singer? in Perl i would have used hashes. something like print $contacts{"firstname"}{$lastname};

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

check if ur form2 dataset is returning any rows or no.....

Do you have Contact_dataDataSet1 modifier set to public or friend? If it's private then you can't reference it outside it's class/module. If it's friend then you can access it within the same project and if it's public then you can access it from anywhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.