I have my form checked if it's dirty when a user goes to close it. If its dirty is true, the user is asked if they would like to save the data. When they click yes, the 'save event' is called. The problem I'm having is trying to get the form to completly close after saving. At the end of the save I put in me.close(), but another form closing event is triggered. Is this the correct way to dictate having the form close immediately after saving the data or is there a better way? If it is, I must have it placed in the wrong part of my code. Immediately after the "success" dialog box is displayed, I am asked if I want to save the data again.

'FormClosing
If is_Dirty = True Then
 messagebox.show(text) =Windows.Forms.Dialogresult.Yes Then
    e.cancel = True

Try
      'Save Event Called'
      Messagebox.show("success")
      me.close()
      Catch ex As Exception
    End Try

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Can u please show ur save event??

Once you are in the Closing event handler you don't have to call Close() again. Here is a sample from one of my projects. It maintains a book library. When the user tries to exit the app it checks if there are unsaved changes then prompts the user for what to do.

Private Sub frmMain_FormClosing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing

'If there are unsaved changes to the active library, ask user what to do. If    
    'there(are) unsaved changes, the titlebar will start with the string "(unsaved)"

Dim msgTitle As String = "You have unsaved changes"
    Dim msgPrompt As String = "Do you want to save your changes before closing?" & vbCrLf _
                & vbCrLf _
                & "    Yes    - save changes and exit" & vbCrLf _
                & "    No     - discard changes and exit" & vbCrLf _
                & "    Cancel - resume application"

If Unsaved() Then

Select Case MsgBox(msgPrompt, vbYesNoCancel, msgTitle)

Case vbYes      'save changes and exit                                  
            SaveBookList(Library)
            MsgBox("Library has been saved in " & Library)

Case vbCancel   'return to application                                  
            e.Cancel = True

Case vbNo       'discard changes and exit                               

End Select

End If

End Sub

Note that the default action is to close the form and exit. If the user decides to continue instead you have to cancel the close by setting e.Cancel to True.

Thank you again for your assistance Jim, I haven't gotten to your example yet, but I do see what you're talking about. Anyways, here is the formclosing event code. I'm sure it looks pretty ugly, but it has gotten me yay far.

Private Sub PFC_XPRESS_FormClosing(sender As System.Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles MyBase.FormClosing

If is_Dirty = True Then

If MessageBox.Show("Do You Wish To Save Any Data Before Closing?", "Warning", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation) = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then
                e.Cancel = True

Dim OKTOSAVE As Boolean = True

Try

If Not (EVENT_NUMBER.Text = "" Or Officer.Text = "") Then

'Call CREATE_EXCEL_FILE(outputdirectory)

If OKTOSAVE Then
                            'Save the Event info from form into Datatable and write to excel file
                            PFC_Xpress.Tables("Event Info").Clear()
                            Call SAVE_EVENT()
                            WRITE_TO_EXCEL(PFC_Xpress.Tables("Event Info"), True, 1) 'Write Event info from datatable to excel file

'Save the Person info from form into datatable and write to excel file
                            Call SAVE_PERSON()
                            WRITE_TO_EXCEL(PFC_Xpress.Tables("PERSON"), True, 2) 'Write Person info from datatable to excel file

'Save the Property info from form into datatable and write to excel file
                            Call Save_Property()
                            WRITE_TO_EXCEL(PFC_Xpress.Tables("PROPERTY"), True, 3) 'Write Property info from datatable to excel file

'Save the Vehicle info from form into datatabl and write to excel file
                            Call Save_Vehicle()
                            WRITE_TO_EXCEL(PFC_Xpress.Tables("VEHICLE"), True, 4) 'Write Vehicle info from datatable to excel file

Call Close_Excel(outputdirectory & Officer.Text & "_" & EVENT_NUMBER.Text & ".xlsx")

End If
                    Else
                        MessageBox.Show("Complete both the Officer Number and Event Number fields before saving.", "Error!", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Stop)
                    End If

'Remind Officer to turn in "attachment sheet" if the incident type is a warrant since Hit Confirmation Paperwork is recevied at front desk'
                    Try
                        If (INCIDENT_TYPE.Text = "WARRAN") Then

MessageBox.Show("Don't Forget Attachment Sheet", "Reminder", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)
                        End If

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

Catch ex As Exception
                    Write_Log_File(ex.ToString, LOGFILENAME)
                    MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)

End Try

End If

End If

End Sub

Sub Close_Excel(ByRef FILENAME As String)
        'FINISH SAVING FILE AND DISPLAY SUCCESS MESSAGE BOX

Try

objwb.SaveAs(FILENAME)
            objwb.Close()

MessageBox.Show("File Save Success!", "Save Success", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)
            Me.Close()
            objxl.DisplayAlerts = False
            Marshal.ReleaseComObject(objws)
            objxl.Quit()
            Marshal.ReleaseComObject(objxl)
            objws = Nothing
            objwb = Nothing
            objwbs = Nothing
            objxl = Nothing

Catch ex As Exception

End Try
    End Sub
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.