I have a problem with retrieving data from access databse.
I make the connection and retrieve the data no problem. But when the data changes from another use of the database, I cannot get the new changed data without reloading the complete programme. Even repeating the load functions does not renew the data from the access data base.

Here is what I have got:

Public Class Form1
    Private comm As New CommManager()
    Private transType As String = String.Empty

Dim inc As Integer
    Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
    Dim dbProvider As String
    Dim dbSource As String
    Dim laptimes As New DataSet

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

dbProvider = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
        dbSource = "Data Source = f:/HareHound riderinput local.mdb;"

con.ConnectionString = dbProvider & dbSource

con.Open()
        sql = "SELECT * FROM laptimes"

da = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
        da.Fill(laptimes, "HareHounds")

con.Close()

End Sub
Private Sub btnimportdata_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnimportdata.Click
                CheckBox1.Checked = laptimes.Tables("HareHounds").Rows(0).Item(10)
    End Sub

I have tried everthing to get this very simple thing to work, but I am at a loss. Help would be largly apreciated.

riam.khalid.3 commented: how toget start with data base +0

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Move that code out of the form_load event into its own function. You can call that function from form_load to get the data at startup but you will also be able to call the code at anytime to get any new data (via a button that calls that function for example)

Yes I tried that, but it does not make any difference.
Odly enough I have writed another console based programe with pretty much the sanme code, and that does work.
What is the difference?

sorry but backups has nothing to do with this subject?

I solved this my self in the end. What you have to do is make a seperate function that contains a OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder and an update comanad.
This then updates the real database and not the one loaded into memnory. Seems like an od way to do things but it works.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.