Hello friends,

I'm a Computer Security student. I need some opinions for my Final Year Project idea. Im planning to create an application on VB.NET which protects a network from unknown users like hackers by filtering their MAC addresses/Hostname/IP. The application will work similar to the software inside the modem/router but in a friendly GUI and less features. Reason for my idea is basic users tend to get scared to go inside modem/router to change something. So this application will make things easier by giving friendlier GUI with simple details which can protect users from unknown users.

The network can a normal home internet wifi and connected by several devices like phone and laptops.

My basic idea how the app will run on user side is:

1) User runs the app
2) Chooses the modem/router brand (will have preloaded admin username and password for modem/router depending on the modem/router brand)
3) Identifies all the users connected to the network
4) Shows the hostname, MAC and IP
5) Able to remove unknown users (filtering), change admin username and password, change SSID and password
6) If new device joins, gives a popout.

At the back, the app will does the following:

1) Checks for default gateway
2) Enters inside the modem using default gateway
3) Depending on the modem/router brand, logs inside
4) Retreives the data needed
5) Updates any data users is changing like disconnecting/filtering a MAC address, SSID or admin username & password

I have good knowledge in VB.Net and currently learning networking. I would like to know if the idea can be implemented? The main problem i found is how to connect or get into the modem/router using a VB.NET app and change all those things.

Thanks in advance! :)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sounds good but you have identified the main problem you will encounter that may not make this a practical project for you.

By their very nature, it will not be easy to get into the Router to do this - some have Web based interfaces that you may be able to access but they will be local to the router or computer that is set to administer it and will probably block attempts to push data from the outside and they will never be standard accross the range of manufacturers.

I'm thinking it may be easier to try building your own proxy with a simple interface that would then connect to the router that way you could block user access out of the network before it gets to the router. You could also try things like blocking web access at certain times of the day, blocking certain sites etc. A network traffic monitor to provide statistics on what the users are doing could be good too.

It's sounds like you are interested in this field so you'd probably have a few ideas your self - try to do a project that goes with the type of job you'd like to do when you leave your course.

Thanks for the reply, Waddell! I really appreciate it. I really like your suggestion.

I have few question on your idea since i'm quite a beginner to networking yet quite interested to learn it. You mentioned about "building your own proxy with a simple interface that would then connect to the router that way you could block user access out of the network before it gets to the router".

Can i know what kind of proxy you mentioning about and how does it work? Because everytime i hear the word proxy, i only think it as a way to bypass blocked sites yet this one does the opposite. Maybe you could point me at the right direction. Thanks again! :)

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

Reason for my idea is basic users tend to get scared to go inside modem/router to change something. So this application will make things easier by giving friendlier GUI with simple details which can protect users from unknown users.

No basic user will use this.

The Proxy server would control access to the router - you can have hardware ones or software ones. I'd suggest that you could create a software based one like Microsoft ISA with a easy interface to allow admin users to carry out basic functionality.

Sorry, I didn't realise that you were a beginner at networking - I've not really done any network stuff at the level you'd need for years, Although I'm sure they're loads of guys out there on this forum who could help - Try under Hardware & Software

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.