Can you help me about inserting video in resources of visual basic and how to call it and play in my media player in a form..because i have media player in my project and my problem is how can i insert video and call it from resources...

i hope you can help me..Thanks a lot..!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I am going to assume that you mean adding a video to the embedded resources.

From the menu, goto Project->Properties. Then select the "Resources" tab. Next Select "Add Rersource"->"From Existing File". You can then select your video file. The file will be inserted with the File Name minus the extension as a binary array.

As far as I know, the media player control can only except a file reference to play. Therefore, you will need to write the binary array to a temporary file first.

Private TmpFiles As New List(Of String)

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
   Dim fi As New IO.FileInfo(IO.Path.GetTempFileName())

Dim tmppath As String = IO.Path.GetTempFileName()
   ' The tmp file will have a ".tmp" extension
   ' The media player uses the extension to identify the proper codec to use to decode the file
   ' I used a wma video, so I will change the extension to that
   tmppath = tmppath.Replace(".tmp", ".wma")
   ' Create the file and write the resource array to it
   Dim tmp As IO.Stream = IO.File.Create(tmppath)
   ' Amanda is the name of my file
   tmp.Write(My.Resources.Amanda, 0, My.Resources.Amanda.Length)
   tmp.Close()

'Save a reference to tmp file so that you can delete it on the Form.Closing event
   TmpFiles.Add(tmppath)

' tell the player to play the file
   WMP1.currentMedia = WMP1.newMedia(tmppath)

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing
   For Each file As String In TmpFiles
      Try
         IO.File.Delete(file)
      Catch ex As Exception
         ''
      End Try
   Next
End Sub

Thank you for this I am getting closer with your help. Regards Jakewebbe (Bill)

Hi TnTinMN Your code works fine but when I go to debug I get this message. 'Error 1 Unable to write to output file 'C:\Users\Bill\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\resources test 2\resources test 2\obj\x86\Debug\resources test 2.exe': System Error &H8007000e& resources test 2'
My project name is resources test 2
I was wondering if this error is generated because of the total file sizes being around half a gig and or the amount of files I have added to the resources which would total around 35.
Any idea would be helpful, thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.