Hey guys,

I've managed to successfully create a little basic installer for installing all of the files. HOWEVER. I have multiple Access database files which cant also be installed to the Program Files directory because then they become read-only. So, I was going to install them to the Application Data directory.

My question is, how do I set the path in the VB Source code to read the Access Database file from Application Data. Regardless of the Username of the person using the program etc.

Thanks!

ps. Furthermore, how do I get around the problem of those who do not have access installed on their PC. Obviously they couldnt use the software then.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You could use C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data. Or you could find the user name with SystemInformation.UserName and replace All Users with it in that path.

ps. Furthermore, how do I get around the problem of those who do not have access installed on their PC. Obviously they couldnt use the software then.

You don't need Access just the engine installed so you can use the ACE provider or if you prefer the engine directly with record sets.

Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.