1.11M Members

Odd behavior with Word Through Interop

Hi,

Getting some strange behaviour when using Interop to create a Word document from a template. I'm using word to generate a nicely formatted and printable Receipt from Sage 200 based on a Word Template. The code should open Word then create a new document based on the template I have created with bookmarks to populate with the receipt data.

The issue is that instead of seeing a single document, I see about 5-6 documents appearing! One of the documents is based on the template I want and the rest are all blank. Also, the document based on the template is sometimes the Active document but sometime it isn't. I only want the single document to be visible. Anyone out there any ideas?

Here is my code:

Sub ShowReceipt (byRef TemplatePath as string)

dim objWord, objDoc as object

'Late bind to avoid version issues
objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
With objWord
    .Visible = True
End With

objDoc = objWord.Documents.Add(Template:=TemplatePath)
With objDoc
    .Bookmarks("CustomerNAME").Range.Text = Trim(Customer.Name)
    .Bookmarks("CustomerADDRESS").Range.Text = CustomerAddress
    .Bookmarks("CustomerCONTACT").Range.Text =  CustomerContactName
    .Bookmarks("AMOUNT").Range.Text = ChequeValue
    .Bookmarks("RECEIPTDATE").Range.Text = FormatDateTime(ReceiptDate, DateFormat.LongDate)
    .Bookmarks("CURRENTBALANCE").Range.Text = Format(NewBalance, "#.00")
End With
End Sub

I did try adding the following code after adding the objDoc:

for each Item as Object in objWord.Documents
    if Not Item.Equals(objDoc) then
        Item.Close(SaveChanges:=False)
    End if
next

and while stepping through in debug mode, I could see documents being closed and the objDoc being "skipped" but there were still other documents open at the end of the routine.

Hi,

I think I did solve it although it's kind of a cheat, I put my loop where I close the documents down after I populate the bookmarks and it appears to work. It still does not explain the multiple documents opening though!

Question Self-Answered as of 10 Months Ago

Possible cause is Word automaticly adds a blank page on load.

Is it possible that when you call the Create that is loads word into memory with the assumption of a start with blank page??

Hi
Probably it is something like that but why so many blanks? The only thing I can think of is documents that were created during earlier debugging attempts

Isn't it about time forums rewarded their contributors?

Earn rewards points for helping others. Gain kudos. Cash out. Get better answers yourself.

It's as simple as contributing editorial or replying to discussions labeled or OP Kudos

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: