I know I'm just missing the mark here, but what I am trying to accomplish is simply adding the results of two text boxes.

Example:
Form has two text boxes and 1 label
The user enters a number (any number from 0 - 10) into each textbox
when the user 'leaves' textbox2, label1 is updated with the total of adding textbox1 and textbox2 together

My Code:

PublicClass Form1
Private Sub TextBox2_Leave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox2.Leave
Label1.Text = TextBox1.Text + TextBox2.Text
End Sub
EndClass

Given my current code, when I enter a 2 in textbox1 and a 3 in textbox2, Label1 updates to show 23 (while I can see WHY that happens, thats not what I was hoping for). I know I'm missing something, just not sure "what". Any help is appreciated. (and yes, I am a VB noob)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You'll need to convert the value of the text fields into numbers before performing the addition operation. Currently you are adding two strings of text, which concatenates them.

how would i go about doing that please?

Search your IDE's help, or failing that Google. These should be your first port of call before a forum. Try the format "[language type]" "[what you are trying to do]". For example "Visual Basic" "convert string to int".
You could even try going through a tutorial, there will be one included with your IDE.

There are several ways.
1. Dim x As Integer = CInt(TextBox1.Text)
2. Dim y As Integer = Val(TextBox1.Text)
3. Dim z As Integer = CType(TextBox1.Text, Integer)
If you are working with hexidecimal or octal then use val because it knows what &h and &o means. The others throw an error. Also is the only one that if you put it in a label (textbox) then "123.45" will appear as "123.45". If you do as shown above then y is defined as an integer so will only show as "123".
So, I would do this as I would not know what will be placed in the textboxes:

Label1.Text = TextBox1.Text + TextBox2.Text

would be

Label1.Text = Val(TextBox1.Text) + Val(TextBox2.Text)
commented: Thanks Wayne +0

DavidRyan: I just wasn't sure what the proper phrasing was to do a google search, but you are correct in that sense.

Waynespangler: Thank you for that informative example, I will give it a shot. The only things that will be put into the boxes are whole numbers from 0 to 10 (its a bowling score system). Haven't totally decided how to treat the full math aspect of it as yet, but gotta crawl before you walk. :)

How add two text boxes when we click button show result in 3rd text box in VB.net

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.