Hey, I've been looking around here for a while but its my first post, I think this might be the right place for this question, if not please move it.

I have a few folders with different file types in them. I want to make a search tool that I can use to search these folders for File names. I'm going to try using VB6 for it. Its a very basic idea, but I'm new to VB and database type programming. Any pointers in what I should look into to show me how to go about this?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

so what have you tried so far for this?

so what have you tried so far for this?

I haven't tried to imlement the idea yet, I'm just looking for a pointer into what would be the best method to do this, then I'll give it a go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so with this I have tried a few things. I've done a check for filenames and folders to see if they exist and if they do then I add them to a listbox, click on the item in the list and it will open. This seems to work but it seems kind of cumbersome and loop heavy. There has to be a better implementation. Any ideas?

what exactly do you want?

I'm just looking for an effecient approach at creating a search tool for finding files. I've got a working model but it's too slow. There must be a better way to do it. So I'm just looking for a different approach to the one I mentioned in an earlier post.
If anyone has any ideas, then feel free to chime in.

i post an attachment for example of search engine

Thanks for that code, I'm having a look at it to see how it works. Seems very suitable to wat I'm looking at. all I have to do is tweak it and add a few little things to it.

But I CAN NOT find a folder with this engine....Has somebody a code to find folders too??

But I CAN NOT find a folder with this engine....Has somebody a code to find folders too??

check out this code...
hope u'll get ur answer

give me feedback if this helps u...

regards
SHouvik

q

check out this code...
hope u'll get ur answer

regards
SHouvik

Well, I've runned the .exe, but I couldn't find any folder...

I need to find a folder that I don't know where it is (for example, the user wants to find the folder SYSTEM32, but he doesn't know where this folder is...Then, he just does put "systen32" in a textbox and clicks in an OK button...It should work like the windows search..)

Thanks everybody...

check out this code...
hope u'll get ur answer

regards
SHouvik

Man, this program does not find folders...I need a code to search a folder in somewhere idk....For example, the user needs to find the folder "Program Files", but he doesn't know where it is...The program should work like the windows search...

Thank you very much...

I'm doing the same thing- but checking to see if the game file directory has installed- though, i'm not sure which drive the user has installed it, if they installed it earlier on. Not quite to sure how to implement that.

Though, for your case, you could try the 'My.Computer.FileSystem.DirectoryExists' function. Not sure if that's what you want though.

Also, just found this page- give it a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;306666

Efficient search routine using Windows API or built-in Visual Basic functions - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185476

My VB5 Desktop search needed to auto-catalogue for pictures and music. To do that I needed to look at all the folders on a drive. As a spin of of that function I created a Directory.txt output file containing all the file types and their folders along with the date changed. I'm not sure where I found that code but could post it for you. My search had the option of "d" to search and display anything with today's date.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.