Hello. I'm relatively new to Visual Basic 6, but I've been getting around pretty good. But there's one thing I need help with. You know how when your texting someone on your phone and you have to press the same button multiple times to get the letter(s) you want? Well I was wondering how exactly would I go about doing that with a Command Buttons and the Textbox?

I tried doing this:

Private Sub Command1_Click()
	Text1.Text = "2"
	Text1.Text = "A"
	Text1.Text = "B"
	Text1.Text = "C"
	End Sub

But when I click the button, "C" only appears in the Text Box? I want to click the button multiple times, so I would have the options for the above characters, or any characters I choose. Then after one of those characters are entered, I move on to the next button to finish what I am entering, just like texting. BTW, I know I could easily use the keyboard to enter text in this textbox, but I'm currently exploring my options with the textbox. What would this code look like?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You need to use a counter in the button click and based on the counter value decide what is displayed in the textbox.

Try the following -

Static xCount As Integer

Select Case xCount
    Case Is = 0
        Text1.Text = "2"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 1
        Text1.Text = "A"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 2
        Text1.Text = "B"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 3
        Text1.Text = "C"
        xCount = 0
End Select
End Sub

That code works, but it keeps deleting the entire text, instead of adding to the existing text.

Then use the following -

Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "2" 'or A, B,C etc.

Oh yeah, I tried that too, but when I click the button multiple times "2ABC" is eventually displayed as a whole, instead of the button cycling through "2", "A", "B", "C", then back to "2".

I want it to cycle through the characters, but not replacing the entire text. Like if I wanted to spell someone's name, I'll use "JACK" as an example, Command Button 1 would act as 2ABC, and Command Button 2 would act as 5JKL. I would keep Clicking Command Button 2 until "J" appears. Then keep clicking Command Button 1 until "A" appears. Then keep clicking Command Button again until "C". And finally, keep clicking Command Button 2 until K appears. The text box will now have JACK displayed.

The code earlier, replaces the entire text. And Adding Text1.Text & "" after Text1.Text, while eventually add "2ABC" as a whole in the textbox when clicked multiple times.

Thanks for all your help, btw.

Add a timer to your form and set its enabled property to False, Interval to say 2000 (2 Seconds)

I have modified the code a bit, have not tested. Let me know if it works.

Dim strIn As String

Static xCount As Integer

Timer1.Enabled = True

Select Case xCount
    Case Is = 0
        strIn = "2"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 1
        strIn = "A"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 2
        strIn = "B"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 3
        strIn = "C"
        xCount = 0
End Select

If Len(Text1) = 1 Then
    Text1.Text = strIn
        Else
    Text1.Text = Text1.Text & strIn
End If
End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()

Text1.SetFocus
Text1.SelStart = Len(Text1.Text)
Timer1.Enabled = False
End Sub

I've found that it still replaces the first letter.:@ Below is something else I've tried, see if it will work for you. The problem is that we have to manipulate the cursor position without focus to the textbox, but with the command button that has focus... Selstart etc would have worked wonders under the textbox's change event.:-/

Add another textbox "Text2" to your form. Make it the same width and height as text1 and place it on top of text1. Set both textboxes Appearnce Property to Flat for enhanced look.

The following code. I'll play around tomorrow to see if I can get a better solution....;)

Dim strIn As String

Static xCount As Integer

Timer1.Enabled = True
Text2.Visible = True

Select Case xCount
    Case Is = 0
        strIn = "2"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 1
        strIn = "A"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 2
        strIn = "B"
        xCount = xCount + 1

Case Is = 3
        strIn = "C"
        xCount = 0
End Select

Text2.Text = strIn
End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()

Text2.Visible = False
Select Case Len(Text1.Text)

Case Is = 0
Text2.Width = Text1.Width - 150
Text2.Left = Text1.Left + 150

Case Is = 1
Text2.Width = Text1.Width - 300
Text2.Left = Text1.Left + 300

Case Is = 2
Text2.Width = Text1.Width - 450
Text2.Left = Text1.Left + 450
End Select

Text1.SetFocus
Text1.Text = Text1.Text & Text2.Text
Text1.SelStart = Len(Text1.Text)
Timer1.Enabled = False
End Sub

OMG. You are awesome. It works, it works! lol.

I want to thank you for taking time to help me with this. I really appreciate it.

It was a huge pleasure. Happy coding.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.