Hi

I have a bunch of VB6 code and I want to translate/upgrade it to VB.Net.

I have used the "upgrade wizard" and it generates massive errors.

Is there any document that lists the differences between VB6 and VB.Net?

I have lost many of my important functions, such as MouseDown, MouseMove, Timer arguments, etc.

The upgrade wizard has made many new tags that it was unable to make matching locations for. The most common is "_renamed".

Any help, pointers, would be appreciated.

Member Avatar for BasicBoy

You did not say why you want to upgrade. It would not be wise to upgrade for upgrade sake alone. You will need to know/establish that you need the functionality in VBNET which you do not have in VB6 - and you will need to know that you are willing to lose some excellent functionality in VB6 - like Gosubs, DAO and most of the graphics routines.
In fact, it is a good thing that you have these convert comments, but you will normally find that it takes more time to fix these, than to start programming from scratch in VBNET.

Thanks for your reply. My application is a tester for CCTV units. Basically all it does is control the cameras using our D Protocol. All of the problems, so far, are caused by the strange things that the conversion program does. Not to mention the features of VB6 that are gone. (Or maybe renamed, but MicroSoft can't figure out the new names, which makes it difficult.)

The total line count of the source is somewhat over 200,000 with about half of that being information to build the various displays. I wanted to be able to use NET's hoped for ability to communicate over the Internet so that I could expand the usefulness of the application.

You may be right that in that it does not make sense to try the translation, instead of just rewriting it in C++, or whatever.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.