Hi all,

Can someone please help me. I'm writing a VB5 app that connects to an Access 97 database using a data access control with the following parameters:

Connect = "Access"
DefaultType = 2 'UseODBC
Exclusive = 0 'False
Options = 0
ReadOnly = 0 'False
RecordsetType = 1 'Dynaset

(The app sets the DatabaseName and RecordSource properties at runtime.)

When the database doesn't have a password, it works perfectly. But when I give it a password ("OpenSesame") and change the Connect string to "Access;pwd=OpenSesame", I get this error:

"Couldn't find installable ISAM."

I need to solve this so that my database can be password-protected. Any ideas?

I will also need to connect to the database from Crystal Reports, but first things first!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Couldn't find installable ISAM.

Have you read this knowledgebase article and tried the resolution steps? Also, are you sure your connection string is correct?

When the database doesn't have a password, it works perfectly. But when I give it a password ("OpenSesame") and change the Connect string to "Access;pwd=OpenSesame", I get this error:
"Couldn't find installable ISAM."

I am probably wrong on this, but shouldn't the connection string be: "dns=Access;pwd=OpenSesame"?

Thanks for your help, deceptikon. I have gone through the steps in article 155666 in detail but without success. I will also examine the article you suggest and try everything that it recommends - will let you know next week how I go.

No, I'm not sure my connection string is right. I followed TnTinMN's suggestion (adding 'dns=' to the beginning of the connection string) but it produces an error, "ODBC--connection to 'database.mdb' failed." I then tried eliminating the password from the database and connection string (so that the connection string is "dns=Access"), but this produces the same error. (Note that when the database has no password and the connection string is just the word "Access", it works perfectly.) Next I tried having a look at the ODBC connection for Access 97 and got 2 error messages:

"The setup routines for the Microsoft Access Driver ODBC driver could not be found. Please reinstall the driver."

"Errors found: The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application."

I have the original disk for Access 97 (which I'm using) and have reinstalled that as part of following article 155666, but without fixing the problem.

I'd appreciate any further help you can give. Also note that I currently have another thread going with a page orientation issue in Crystal Reports.

I followed TnTinMN's suggestion (adding 'dns=' to the beginning

Sorry about this, but I made a typo: it should have been "dsn" not "dns"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.