Hi experts, I have an update form, even without changes made in fields the form will still be updated. How can I code that the form will not update without changes made. Pls help me. Thanks alot.

below is my code.

Private Sub cmdUpdate_Click()

If Trim(txtLastname.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtFirstname.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtMiddle_Initial.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtAddress.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtContact_No.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtTin_No.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtSSS_No.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtPhilhealth_No.Text) = "" Or Trim(txtPagibig_No.Text) = "" Or (Option1.Value = False And Option2.Value = False) Then
MsgBox "One or more fields is empty.", vbInformation, "Employees"
Exit Sub
End If

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
rs.Open "select*from Employees where Employees_IdNo='" + Trim(txtID.Text) + "'", cn, adOpenKeyset, adLockPessimistic

rs!Employees_IdNo = txtID.Text
rs!Lastname = txtLastname.Text
rs!Firstname = txtFirstname.Text
rs!Middle_Initial = txtMiddle_Initial.Text
rs!Address = txtAddress.Text
rs!Gender = cboGender.Text
rs!Birthdate = DTPickerBirthdate
rs!Date_Hired = DTPickerDateHired
rs!Rate = lblRate.Caption
rs!Civil_Status = cboCivil_Status.Text
rs!SSS_No = txtSSS_No.Text
rs!Philhealth_No = txtPhilhealth_No.Text
rs!Pagibig_No = txtPagibig_No.Text
rs!Tin_No = txtTin_No.Text
rs!Contact_No = txtContact_No.Text
rs!Remarks = txtRemarks.Text

If Option1.Value = True Then
Option1.Caption = "Female"
rs!Gender = "Female"

ElseIf Option2.Value = True Then
Option2.Caption = "Male"
rs!Gender = "Male"
End If

rs.Update
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
MsgBox "Updated!", vbInformation, "Employee"
Ado.Refresh
End Sub

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

do you mean that when user fill up the textbox and if this is same with earlier saved item in database table , then update operation should not take place otherwise update record ?
if this is the issue then use following code

rs.Open "select*from Employees where Employees_IdNo='" & Trim(txtID.Text) & "'", cn, adOpenKeyset, adLockPessimistic
If rs!Lastname = txtLastname.Text Then
MsgBox "Cannot Update !"
Set rs = Nothing
cn.Close
Exit Sub
Else
rs!Lastname = txtLastname.Text
End If
rs.Update
cn.Close

now you can adjust with above code
hope this helps you . . .

It will update every time you click on your cmdUpdate button because you are telling the form to update. Add a cmdCancel button to your form. If the user do not want to update, they can click on cancel and then exit the form...

cmdCancel_Click

''Write some code to clear all text boxes...

''Unload form
Unload Me
End Sub

thank you experts, ill try to code this one. expect a resolved mark as soon as i am done. thanks a lot to both of you.

commented: Only a pleasure +13
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.