What is the difference between HTML and xml

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Both are subsets of, or, are derived from, SGML.

HTML is an SGML used for web page design, help files, and HTA applications.

XML is a more generalized mark-up language typically used for system or application configuration files or data migration projects.

XHTML is a version of HTML that strictly adheres to XML rules.

Member Avatar for jmichae3

one way you can relate to it is looking at XML is basically a "custom tag" case-sensitive version of HTML with a mandatory strange-looking header.

it also has things like CDATA stuff for unusual content like javascript.

XML prefers you to convert certain characters before putting it into the document.

I wrote an open source program that does this for you. URItoXML

things like
&

=
<
>
and I think there are a few other as well.

Both are markup languages....
But you asked what are the main different between them..
Main different is XML use for data transfer & html use for data(website details) presentation..

In other way,

XML was designed to transport and store data.
HTML was designed to display data.

Go 2 W3Schools

The major difference between HTML and XML is that HTML describes presentation and XML describes content of website. HTML document is human readable and XML is for both human and Robot(machine readable).

Member Avatar for jmichae3

XML also has some rules regarding content that HTML does not: some characters must be translated into named(

&quot;

) or numeric ampersand-pound-number-semicolon entities (sorry, can't show you , daniweb converts them even in code mode!). I wrote a program to do this translation. https://sourceforge.net/projects/uritoxml
They also have different headers.

XML can be transformed into HTML, XHTML, or any other markup language using XSLT.

HTML is an SGML used for web page design, help files, and HTA applications.

XML is a more generalized mark-up language typically used for system or application configuration files or data migration projects.

XHTML is a version of HTML that strictly adheres to XML rules.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.