I'm trying to fix someones computer. There problem was after Windows(XP) loaded and they clicked on their name to log on, it would restart. The first obvious problem is that they bought an eMachine computer to begin with.

I thought it could be the Power Supply. I went ahead and started in safe mode, and everything worked fine. I installed Ad-Aware, and as usual there were a million files found. About every computer I work on is filled with adware and spyware. Anyways, I got rid of all of it, except the annoying VX2 crap which I'll take care of tonight. Still the same problem.

After reading a few things on the internet about similar problems I'm starting to think I was right to begin with, that the power supply is bad.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

harding156,

1. Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
2. Under System Failure, view the Automatically restart check box. If the Automatically restart check box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops unexpectedly.

Have you tried the system file checker? I'm sure you know how, but just in case: Insert the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive: Start >> Run >> type: sfc /scannow.

Good luck,

J_

Hi

But how do i get to this option if I cannot boot my XP.. I have Win 2000 as welll it works fine. Can this help.? :confused:

harding156,

1. Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
2. Under System Failure, view the Automatically restart check box. If the Automatically restart check box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops unexpectedly.

Have you tried the system file checker? I'm sure you know how, but just in case: Insert the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive: Start >> Run >> type: sfc /scannow.

Good luck,

J_

yasminadnan,

Boot the system into Windows Setup by booting off of the Windows installation CD. Navigate to the recovery console and type the same commands provided before.

J_

Hi there everyone,

I've been having this problem as well with my computer.. and the error that I have reseaved is this below?

0000: 00080000 00560002 00000000 40060002
0010: 0000000f 00000000 00000000 00000000
0020: 00000000 00000000 000003f8 00000000

Description:

While validating that \Device\Serial0 was really a serial port, a fifo was detected. The fifo will be used.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event:

Date: 16/07/2006 Source: Serial
Time: 6:40:33pm Category: None
Type: Information Event ID: 2
User: N/A
Computer: MACHINENAME

What I would like to know is what does this mean and how can I fix this problem..

Thanks please e-mail me back a.s.a.p when you get this. btopcomp@shaw.ca

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.