Ok, Where to begin, My computer specs are as followed:
Athlon XP 1700+
Win XP Pro - Upgrade (if you needed to know)
398? MB RAM (around there)
GeForce 4 MMx 440 Graphics Card
Don't know motherboard (if you could also tell me how to find out, i've looked all over the board for the name)

Ok

Now for the problem, I come home from school, turn on my computer and sit down. About any given time it wants to my computer suddenly freezes on me for no reason. My teacher said it might be a heat issue but it isn't, I've checked that all of my hardware is seated correctly, and formated and re-installed Windows XP twice. It started happening right after I started getting updates from Microsoft's Website. I don't know though. I I figured out that if I keep games and programs running it won't freeze up as often. And when it freezes it just quits. If it's in the middle of a song it starts to studder, a game or any other program it just freezes. Can't move the mouse, CAPS and NUM Lock key won't turn the lights on or off, and I have to reboot my computer. I know it isn't a virus so if anyone can help me with some feedback that would be really grate. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I come home from school, turn on my computer and sit down. About any given time it wants to my computer suddenly freezes on me for no reason.

Start by separating hardware problems from software problems. Download MemTest86 from http://www.MemTest86.com. It's available in two formats: an EXE that makes a bootable floppy, or an ISO that makes a bootable CD. Run the test for a while, and see what happens. Even if the problem is not RAM, if the program crashes or freezes up it's likely to be hardware.

Ok, Where to begin, My computer specs are as followed:
Athlon XP 1700+
Win XP Pro - Upgrade (if you needed to know)
398? MB RAM (around there)
GeForce 4 MMx 440 Graphics Card
Don't know motherboard (if you could also tell me how to find out, i've looked all over the board for the name)

Ok

Now for the problem, I come home from school, turn on my computer and sit down. About any given time it wants to my computer suddenly freezes on me for no reason. My teacher said it might be a heat issue but it isn't, I've checked that all of my hardware is seated correctly, and formated and re-installed Windows XP twice. It started happening right after I started getting updates from Microsoft's Website. I don't know though. I I figured out that if I keep games and programs running it won't freeze up as often. And when it freezes it just quits. If it's in the middle of a song it starts to studder, a game or any other program it just freezes. Can't move the mouse, CAPS and NUM Lock key won't turn the lights on or off, and I have to reboot my computer. I know it isn't a virus so if anyone can help me with some feedback that would be really grate. Thank you.

First you'll have to enable Administrative Tools in the Start Menu properties.

From there, navigate to Programs, Admin Tools, then click on Event Viewer.

In the left pane, click on "Application Log," and sift through there to find any reference to programs crashing, or a log for a Blue Screen of Death. It should give you a number in the format of 0x00000000. If you can post that back, we could probably get some more information for you.

Aside from that, any patches (or SP1), driver update, or recently installed programs?

This is assuming you have 1 256MB stick, and one 128MB stick...
Even if MemTest doesn't show any errors, you can try popping either stick of memory to see if the frequency of crashes reduces. If you pop out the 128 and it works, get another stick. If it's the 256, same process.

Could be your power supply, or motherboard grounding out (if you've moved the box around lately), PCI cards that came unseated, and a few more things. I could guess the memory though.

Seems to be that there is a problem with PctSpk.
When I open the thing it tells me:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PctSpk ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: PctSpk error: 1063, StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed..

It's the PctSpk everytime. It aslso seems to be timed at every time my computer has failed. I've installed the SP1 and all updates but this has been happening ever since I installed Win XP.
I also cant seem to run MemTest on either the Cd or the Floppy.
I've checked if any of the cards came loose but they were all alright.
Someone also told me that the Upgrade for Pro XP is a bad idea. Is this true?
Thanks for the support and I hope you all can post back any other info.

I can't find anything in Windows Help or on Google.

Have also come to a half-way conclusion that it may be a modem driver that i installed. Anyone know?

pctspk? What kind of modem do you have? I'm going to guess device manager says it's a "PCTel Modem Speaker."

If you can pull the modem out, see what make/model it is, google for a driver, see if that works.

And while using the XP upgrade isn't the best idea, if you have an older windows disk (98, NT4, Me, or 2k) you can freshly install XP.

Try the modem driver thing first though.

I think it is a HSP56 Micromodem.
And my motherboard is VIA.(if it matters to anything
)

Motherboard shouldn't matter.

Uninstall the updates that seemed to cause the problem. Or do a system rollback with the System Restore feature.

Well, I just uninstalled and then re-installed my Modem and it's working perfect. Thanks for your help .

Just as a closure everyone out there that if you get a message sortof like mine it is your modem and you need to replace it. That is what I had to do. Peace.

And Uninstall Disk-Keeper

Thanks for the follow up posts BlakeZombie99, much appreciate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.