Alright everybody, I am not really an I.T. person but I know some about computers ...... totally offpoint start.

Alright, I was reading on ZDNet, I am just now getting into it, sorry, lol. They were speaking about Firefox attracting more hackers to write malicious codes for making it easier to hack within a program. Well, we all know that all browsers have their security limits and what not.

So ....... in general, what would be your pick on the topic of your favorite type of browser? I created a poll with some of the top browser answers.

------------------------------------------------------

Here is some information for you to compare with all of the others (all descriptions courtesy of download.com descriptions):

Internet Explorer 6 - No description.

Avant Browser 10.0 - Avant Browser is a multi-window browser that allows users to browse multiple Web sites simultaneously and block all unwanted pop-up pages and Flash ads automatically. The integrated cleaner helps users clear all traces and maintain privacy. The built-in Yahoo/Google search engines enable users to search for Web pages, images, groups, directories, lyrics, software, and news on the Internet. Avant Browser provides options for blocking the download of Flash media, pictures, video, sounds, and ActiveX components, so users can efficiently use their bandwidth and speed up page loading. All opened pages can be easily stopped, refreshed, closed, or arranged with just one click

Mozilla Firefox 1.0 - Mozilla Firefox is a fast, full-featured browser for Windows that makes browsing more efficient than ever before. Firefox includes pop-up blocking; a tab-browsing mode that lets you open several pages in a single window; integrated Google searching; simplified privacy controls that let you cover your tracks more effectively; a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser; and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

Opera 7.54 - Opera is an Internet browser with a pop-up blocker, multiple-windows navigation, mouse gestures, keyboard shortcuts, e-mail client with Spam filter, and integrated search all for user security and speed. The cross-platform browser includes a multitude of other functions such as integrated built-in e-mail client, IRC-compatible chat, support for RSS newsfeeds, password manager, one-click customization and privacy protection settings.

Mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts allow for accelerated Web navigation while the Fast Forward and Rewind buttons ease browsing. Users are able to run multiple windows as well as personalize the user interface with one-click skins. The browser also contains special elements for users with disabilities, drag-and-drop support, a notes function, user profiles, and a host of other features.

Opera supports the latest in security and provides password and cookie managers.

Slim Browser 4.03 - SlimBrowser is a tabbed, multisite Web browser. The recoverable pop-up killer identifies and blocks pop-up ads without killing a desirable window by mistake. A quick-search bar provides instant access to predefined search engines. Extensive support for skins lets you tailor Slim Browser to your own preferences. The AutoLogin feature automatically logs you in to predefined sites with one click. Script-error suppression eliminates annoying script-error dialogs. Internet Explorer toolbars can be seamlessly integrated with Slim Browser. Site groups let you open a series of sites all at once with only one click. Slim Browser provides special support for Web developers with a syntax-highlighted HTML/script editor and a batchable FTP uploader.

Netscape Browser 7.2 - In addition to high-speed browsing and instant-messaging capabilities, Netscape features one-click searching from the address bar; Quick Launch, which reduces the browser start-up time; Click-to-Search, which allows users to select a word within a Web page and search; improved instant messaging, including support for buddy icons, file transfers, and buddy alerts; and tabbed browsing, which allows users to view multiple Web pages in a single browser window. Netscape 7.2 offers improved pop-up blocking and enhanced security. New features include extended address-bar searching, enhanced tabbed browsing, improved downloading, and new printing options.

Mozilla Suite 1.7.5 - Mozilla features fully compliant standards support, including HTML 4.0, XML, CSS, and DOM, and is small, fast, and modular. Since its inception, Mozilla has been built as an open-source product, meaning the source code is publicly available. Mozilla's interface employs the standard browsing paradigm with Back, Forward, and Refresh buttons. It is skinnable, meaning you can download new looks for it. It features the ability to disable unrequested pop-up windows on Web sites. It also lets you open multiple browser windows and display multiple Web pages in a single tabbed window at the same time.

Some of the new features in version 1.7.5 include a new option to prevent sites from using JavaScript to block the browser's context menu, a new set of icons for files that are associated with Mozilla on Windows, and the Password Manager has a "show passwords" mode which will display saved passwords.

------------------------------------------------------

Now, mines in particular I am having a trouble deciding. It, for me, is a tie between Mozilla Firefox and Opera. Opera has more advanced features, built in mail system and notes and all of the good good stuff. But Firefox right now for me is super-fast. Although Opera has good speed, I ran some tests, you know, uploaded the same websites at the same time for 25-50 different websites, 75% of the websites loaded quicker on Firefox by less then 5 second increments, so there really is no problem. Also, Opera has some problems outputting dynamic HTML scripting, DHTML Scripts basically, but still is a nice setup theme in ways to make up for that.

My friend has Opera, so I am planning to purchase it when I get my new computer sometime this spring or this summer. If its good enough, I may even share the joy and buy 2-5 Opera's and use them for some contests or giveaways for DaniWeb. But for me right now, I am sticking to Firefox.

Lastly, if your wanting a super-fast internet browser with tabs and latest headlines and sleek design for FREE. Firefox is my answer. But if your wanting an GREAT browser with good speed, built in mail system and a good sleek designed layout with sessions to save, notes, and IRC Chatrooms for a small $39 price, then you are wanting Opera.

P.S. I read an article, cant find it, thats a shame, I wanted to show you to. It had an article in the Money section of USA Today back in December 2004 about, how what was planned for Firefox's future and much much more about the co-creator, forgot the guy name but he is only 23 and he was explaining about the future for Firefox and their security procedures and a built in hacker safe system with quicker website loading time and a anti-virus software that will alert when the browser has detected a virus download from the website, BEFORE you download it. Not sure, we'll have to wait and see and I'll keep looking for it.

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

You forgot the new kid on the block. Maxthon. Honeslty in my humble oppinion its the best of both firefox and ie6. To say its just a skin for ie is completley false. That would be like saying firefox is a skin for netscape. Same idea. Stand alone browser. Just my 2 cents.

No, I didnt forget Maxthon, I was going to add it seriously. But because not many people knew about it what would be the reason. If you don't see a browser on here that you like, feel free to add your 2 cents, lol......

Maxthon is/was MYIE2 with a new name :).

Anything based on Internet Explorer inherites the same insecure design of Internet Explorer, and is almost garuanteed to contain security holes found in Internet Explorer. For that reason, I do not use IE-based browsers.

I, like most people, was at one point very ignorant about browsers in general. I thought that the only two browsers in existence were Internet Explorer for Windows, and Netscape Navigator for Macs. I later learned how wrong this assumption was, and ended up downloading Opera. Opera was fun, but I hated the Ad banner, and most of all, I didn't like how it had so many compatibility problems with webpages, so I decided to look for a different browser. I found Firefox 0.8, and used that for a while, since the compatibility (and the browser in general) seemed to be significantly better. Even so, it became unbareable having to switch browsers so often (If IEView existed then, I wasn't aware of it). I switched back to IE so I only had to use one browser, since I was using it for almost half the pages I viewed anyway.

Then I heard about Spyware and Adware, and read up online about it. I downloaded a copy of Ad-aware and found over 2000 objects on my computer. Horrified, I tried to remove them, but could never completely clean myself up. I learned that the problem was because of security holes in IE, so I switched back to Firefox. Even though by this time, pages were already starting to adjust for non-IE browsers, it was still an annoyance to have about a forth of my webpages not work.

Then Service Pack 2 was released, which promised that IE was now a secure browser that I could trust. I was told by my friends that it would be better to install it on a fresh copy of windows, so I reformatted and installed it. The first thing I went to do once my computer was all set up was search for "Beach Wallpapers" on google, and one of the first results caused my hard drive to make funny noises. I couldn't close the window because the computer was so busy, and when it finally closed several minutes later, my desktop was filled with icons for programs such as Bonzai Buddy. Naturally, I was pissed, and had to reformat all over again. This time, I was sure to stay away from IE and start using Firefox again.

I have been using Firefox ever since, and these days, there aren't very many bad pages. At one point, I had IEView installed so I could quickly switch to IE if I needed to, but nowadays, I don't even bother installing it because I never run into IE only pages anymore. Even were I to come across an IE only page, I would rather not use the page than view it in IE, because security concerns for IE have grown even worse. True, Firefox has a few holes of its own, but so does every piece of software. The bugs in Firefox are few in number and are not critical. IE on the other hand is swamped with severely critical vulnerabilities. In addition to better security, Firefox has far more features, the main one being extensions. True, it is not the only browser with an extensions feature, but it has far more extensions available for it than any other.

sorry, missed it :-(

All the browsers have their own functionalities and properties ... but I liked MyIE2 bcuz of its simple layout and ease of use ... but with sp2 (grouped content) IE has made my life easier ... but still if the iexplore crashes .. I have no way to get my browsing windows back.

No browser in my opinion will ever be perfect ..... just my 2 cents, there is no browser that will run flawlessly and never slow down, if so, I'll pay up to the thousands for it, no higher should it be worth. Plus, I heard some use IE has a building block, which really doesnt matter, pending on the coding structure and speed others give the IE browsers.

Like I heard that Opera uses IE coding, but with addins and a speed code that allows for quicker loading. IDK, must be rumors.

FireFox slaughters the competition.

I got to be honest, I love it, I like IE, but I think that is just because I used it as my main (sometimes only) browser.

The popup blocker with XP SP2 has been pretty good so far, there's not a lot that get through, but obviously there are other problems associated with IE.

I use a site cdcovers.cc they have started using adds that just float over the text, which popup blockers seem unable to deal with effectivly.

Firefox doesn't even load them

Unfortunately things dont always appear to be in the right place with firefox, and rndinternet.co.uk does not display correctly in FF, but displays fine in IE, I think that is more a design issue, the site should have been tested on different browsers.

It seems its the way that FF reads the page, it thinks two text areas are images, as they aren't images it just draws to boxes where it thinks a picture should be...

SE

How come WombatWeb 2.0 can have 47347 voters .????? .. I think the site doesnt have so much members ...

come on seriously, whoever did that, it was childish, there is no way in hell, come on now man, can somebody take it off atleast. wombatweb doesnt even deserve credit like that.

hehe ... I think Mozilla is the best so far.

WTF is wombatweb?

yeh Mozilla is quicker than Firefox on my old P200 128 RAM and Cel 933 256 RAM, maybe on higher spec machines you dont notice the diff. the quick launch option in Mozilla helps on really slow machines maybe Firefox should look into that

Will :rolleyes:

WTF is wombatweb?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And how did it get a score like that?

Is that a joke or a cock up?

(Time of writing wombatweb had something like 47000 votes)

SE (Dave)

your asking me, i think its a joke, on other means, I think Mozilla is fast, but in asking why did Mozilla put out 2 browsers (Mozilla Suite and Firefox) I'll never know. Hmmmmm, lol.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And how did it get a score like that?

Is that a joke or a cock up?

(Time of writing wombatweb had something like 47000 votes)

SE (Dave)

Sorry, it was some sort of software bug. No one voted for WombatWeb, actually.

I dont know Young Tech. I kinda like both to tell ya the truth. As I have stated before. IE is to me the best as far as webv surfing. But if you were going to be or ARE already a web designer or programmer, Firefox is the best as far as getting the details down.

Also if your a ASP Developer, then IE is mans best friend because FireFox dosent suport ASP when viewing your own work. Youll se a bunch of scripts that basiclly is your page you just made. But I maybe wrong, I DO use both alot and to make sure whatever Im doing dont turn out so yukky!;)

OK, some strange choices in this.

Avantbrowser and Slimbrowser are both bolt-ons for Internet Explorer, not different browsers. If you use them, you are STILL using Internet Explorer!

WebWombat is an Australian search engine, not a browser!

Mozilla and Firefox might look much the same, but they are different products.Mozilla is a full-featured browser suite, while Firefox is not only based on a different 'engine' - it's also a 'slimline' browser, to which you can add only such plugins and extras as you actually need and use.

Both of those, and also Opera, have features which, when learnt, enable web browsing to be a much more fluid and sensible activity. All those three leave Internet Explorer for dead as far as being a useful and useable browsing tool goes. Add to that the fact that IE is so far flawed security wise that it simply CANNOT be 'fixed', and I'm amazed that anyone interested enough to be posting on a Tech forum actually still uses it!

Thanks to whoever took off WebWombats votes and all, and yeah, thats what I am saying.

I have used Mozilla now ... that looks like a good combination of web tools including the browser ... it's a lot safer than IE ... I recommend atleast testing Mozilla for IE users.

Hmmm No KDE browser not to many linux people here that use kde anyways well should possilbly add other browsers for us few then :-| .

Cheers

Crash

Linux people are beyond logic, reasoning, and the opinion of others anyway, Crash&Burn, so don't worry too much :D

hehe ... I have also used KDE in red hat linux.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.