When I go to the Tools menu at the top of the page and select "internet options" in the pulldown menu, the "general" tab is missing. The "internet options" window opens onto the "security" tab instead. Now I can't change my homepage..

HELP! What do I do?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I had the same issue with the internet option under tools changed and no tabs at all. I figured out how to fix it. Below is a step by step procedure to fix the issue :)

PROBLEM: Internet Options under Tools on Internet Explorer is changed and the General Tab is no longer present. To repair this issue you must fix a data value in the registry. To do this do the following.

CLICK START BUTTON > CLICK ON RUN & type in regedit > this will take you to your registry, where you have to go to repair the issue.

Once there, on the left side there go to the following...
Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER
then click on Software
then click on Policies
then click on Microsoft
Then click on Internet Explorer
and then click Control Panel.

You will see three entries in this area, they are.....(default) REG_SZ & Programs Tab_REG-DWRORD & General Tab REG-DWORD. To the right of these there is a section with #'s in it referred to as "Data". The Data associated with the General Tab should read 0x00000000 (0)... if that data has a 1(one) instead of a 0 (zero) you need to change that data value back to 0 (zero). To do that do this..... right click on General Tab.........click modify.... make sure here is a dot in Hexadecimal selecting it....and the number to the left under (Value Data) change that number to a 0 (zero). Close the registry edit. After you do this the Internet Option under Tools will be normal again. :)

commented: Good info! :-D +4

have u tried going to repair IE through the add/remove utility in control panel?

I had the same problem with the General and Programs tabs in IE6. I used "Angel Love"'s fix and it worked for both tabs!! I wonder where you found the repair procedure.
Thanks

Angel Love's fix worked for me. Repairinf IE6 will not fix this problem. Thanks for the info, I,ve been trying to fix this problem for 2 weeks!!!

my registry doesn't have the internet explorer in that area ,winxp pro

OMG, thank you so much for that advice (changing registry data).

Some evil spyware must have turned off my "Programs" & "General" tabs. I have xp pro and changing the registry data back to 0 did the trick!!

Tnx again!

Thanks for the tip, I'm a tech at HP and that helped me out quite a bit
Scott

Thankyou for the tip Angel ! We were stumped here , the world is a better place when we have folks who can be arsed to work stuff like that out :-)

Love Light n Peace G

I had the same issue with the internet option under tools changed and no tabs at all. I figured out how to fix it. Below is a step by step procedure to fix the issue :)

PROBLEM: Internet Options under Tools on Internet Explorer is changed and the General Tab is no longer present. To repair this issue you must fix a data value in the registry. To do this do the following.

CLICK START BUTTON > CLICK ON RUN & type in regedit > this will take you to your registry, where you have to go to repair the issue.

Once there, on the left side there go to the following...
Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER
then click on Software
then click on Policies
then click on Microsoft
Then click on Internet Explorer
and then click Control Panel.

You will see three entries in this area, they are.....(default) REG_SZ & Programs Tab_REG-DWRORD & General Tab REG-DWORD. To the right of these there is a section with #'s in it referred to as "Data". The Data associated with the General Tab should read 0x00000000 (0)... if that data has a 1(one) instead of a 0 (zero) you need to change that data value back to 0 (zero). To do that do this..... right click on General Tab.........click modify.... make sure here is a dot in Hexadecimal selecting it....and the number to the left under (Value Data) change that number to a 0 (zero). Close the registry edit. After you do this the Internet Option under Tools will be normal again. :)

Angel:
Can't thank you enough for this! I worked on this for two weeks until I found your information when I searched using Google,
Thanks again.
Major

I have a Win2000 SP4 machine with IE6 and the Control Panel key is not there?
Anyone else had this? Only my General Tab is missing.
Thanks for any ideas

This worked perfectly...thanks for the help.

I have had some problems with Internet Exploere
Like when you swip your mouse over a link it usually comes up at the bottom bar at the bottom but this morning it wasn't there
i looked in internet options
i reintstalled internet explorer it didnt fix it

so readvise me on how to fix this

i started of tryin your fix tip and i got half way goin into the folders but i got up to POLICIES then i went to Microsoft but then it has other folders but not INTERNET EXPLORER

THE FOLDERS ARE
+ System Certifactes
then

+ CA
+ Disallowed
+ trust
+ TrustedPublisheer

Please help i was really tring to get my internet explorer to start workin probally
thanks if ya reply in advance

Thanks Angel Love...your fix worked. I now have a General Tab.

Thanks Angel Love. You fix worked. I now have a General Tab.

I have tried everything suggested in this thread. I even tried to create the registry keys myself. I am working on a customer's computer and have never seen before.
The computer is a brand new gateway with Windows XP Home SP2. I don't know the version of IE or what Service Pack it has installed. Obviously it is 6.x but thats all I know.

When I open Internet Explorer it gives me this error:
[IMG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/513/ieerror9mb.th.jpg[/IMG]

Nothing else happens. When I click ok, the screens go away and IE is closed. I figured it was something with the default homepage but when I right click on IE and go to properties or go to internet options in the Control panel, this is what I see:
[IMG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4972/ietab4zm.th.jpg[/IMG]

I checked for spyware with Spybot, Adaware, Microsoft Antispyware and Spysweeper. I also ran Hijackthis and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. It doesn't appear that he has any spyware. I am at a loss here and don't know what the problem could be. I don't want to reload windows if I don't have to. I tried to reinstall IE by right clicking on ie.inf in c:\windows and clicking install. It ran through the install process and copied the files from the xp home cd but it still doesn't work. Firefox works fine but my customer wants his IE fixed. What can I try next?

I figured it out. mshtml.dll was missing completely. I replaced that and it worked. Thing is, the System File Checker didn't notice it was missing.

When I go to general tab in the explorer option in Tools manu, I can't enter any character in home page field and three options (use crrent, use default and use blank) are all hiding.
HELP! What do I do?

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Ya dun good! It works perfectly! Thanks a TON and God bless!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.