Hello all;

I'm having a heck of a time trying to resolve an issue (and thus far Google has not yielded the answer). I have a web application that invokes a 3rd party application to display a PDF page. Everything runs smoothly on Windows 2003, but now that I am migrating to Windows 2008R2 (64 bit) the application throws the error of "The Connection was reset" when the handoff occurs for the PDF to display. I've been going through the vendor's support group, but they have been less than helpful. There are no entries in the event logs for this app, and I only have the problem when it goes to render the PDF. Can anyone provide any pointers on this?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

yes. Check your application pool's advanced settings and make sure that
Enable 32-Bit Appliations is set to true.

yes. Check your application pool's advanced settings and make sure that
Enable 32-Bit Appliations is set to true.

Thanks, but it already is. I've also toggled between Integrated and Classic, running under NetworkService as well as ApplicationPoolIdentity, and going between 32-bit and 64-bit application. It's definitely a head-scratcher that is driving me nuts (it's almost a short trip ;) ).

fair enough. Outta help here other than possibilities:
1. 3rd party pdf thing may need to be registered com object
2. I've found that connection reset when mime type not correct or going from 32bit session info to 64bit session info.

fair enough. Outta help here other than possibilities:
1. 3rd party pdf thing may need to be registered com object
2. I've found that connection reset when mime type not correct or going from 32bit session info to 64bit session info.

Interesting. I checked the mime type last week just to ensure that wasn't the culprit, but it was present and correct. I'll review registering the COM again. This is definitely one heckuva puzzle. Aside from registering by RegASM, what do you recommend?

Yeh - coupla other things based in the idea that the buffering is constricting the filesize of a pdf which could be huge.
1. Buffer size is too small - either turn buffering off for that page or make the buffer bigger;
2. Don't set the content length

The common causes of a reset connection is a blown out buffer or a timeout. You can adjust stuff like this at page level or web.config.

Yeh - coupla other things based in the idea that the buffering is constricting the filesize of a pdf which could be huge.
1. Buffer size is too small - either turn buffering off for that page or make the buffer bigger;
2. Don't set the content length

The common causes of a reset connection is a blown out buffer or a timeout. You can adjust stuff like this at page level or web.config.

Interesting, that's a good point! I had modified timeout to an insane value just to test with. Didn't even take buffer into account, so will try that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.