i have a mock site im working on in asp.net/vb.net using an access database. after employees log in they can update there employee profile by filling out a form. i need to know the code for updating an access DB with vb.net from the form fields. im lookin for the syntax on the SQL string and the execute commands afterwards. could someone help me with this or perhaps show me your code for some ideas to point me in the right direction?

also, what would be a good DB to use online? i know access well but i've heard that it doesnt work well online because only one person can access the DB at a time. any free DB's out there that i can scoop?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You're asking for a lot. You collect your form data from the properties of the various server controls. The syntax for SQL is the same regardless of the underlying database, more or less. MySQL is a good server-side database program.

If you are completely new to data-drive web development, then you need to break things down into discrete steps.

1) Connect to a database, retrieve information, display it on a page. That will teach you how to interact with your database.

2) Build a form with server controls. When the user submits a form, gather the information and post it back to the user. That will teach you how to gather form data.

3) Put it all together.

prob should have been a little more clear with my question. i was just looking for the syntax for an UPDATE with sql (which if i just took 2 seconds i could find myself because i did :cheesy: ) the only question i have now is with a SELECT query i would run ExecuteReader() but this doesn't seem to be right with an update. is there another execute to use?

Oh. Yep, you use .ExecuteNonQuery().

pimp, thanks again tgreer

Hi,
I have a form in which i want to update data if there is a repeated data in tne table. the table is in access, and i use: vb.net2003.
but i recieve the syntax error in update command. will you please help me:

objCmd = New OleDbCommand("UPDATE Table1 WHERE (cname=" & txtcname.Text & " AND network=" & txtnet.Text & ")) set(usb=" & txtusb.Text & ",cd=" & txtcd.Text & ",position=" & txtpos.Text & ",", New OleDbConnection(cmd))

i put cname and network as key in the table.
thx

Hi,
I have a form in which i want to update data if there is a repeated data in tne table. the table is in access, and i use: vb.net2003.
but i recieve the syntax error in update command. will you please help me:
objCmd = New OleDbCommand("UPDATE Table1 WHERE (cname=" & txtcname.Text & " AND network=" & txtnet.Text & ")) set(usb=" & txtusb.Text & ",cd=" & txtcd.Text & ",position=" & txtpos.Text & ",", New OleDbConnection(cmd))

i put cname and network as key in the table.
thx

Hi,

Start your own thread with this question. That way, you'll get the information that you require, and you won't muddle up someone else's thread with a question that might not be directly related...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.