Hi, is it possible to create the aspnetdb file in Visual Studio 2008 using the "Security" option from Web Site Administration Tool with MS SQL Server 2008 express edition? I get the following error message when I try it: "There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. Unable to connect to SQL Server database." This wasn't happening prior to installing MS SQL 2008 express so I'm wondering if there is compatibility issue? Should I be using MS SQL 2005?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi adatapost, thank you for responding to my post. I have only just solved the problem. I went into the SQL Server Configuration Manager to check the services and found that SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) was stopped and set to manual start. So I started it and set it to auto start. Once done, I was able to access the security config page under asp.net configuration in MS VisualStudio.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.