I developed a sales management system in ASP.NET using Razor WebPages. How can I ensure that the business data associated with the system to be secure? Does hosting it using Web Hosting services secure? How about VPN? And if I am going to host it in the company server, how I am going to achieve it? I am new in web development and I want to make sure that my very first application will be secure from data theft. Thank you!

I developed a sales management system in ASP.NET using Razor WebPages. How can I ensure that the business data associated with the system to be secure? Does hosting it using Web Hosting services secure? How about VPN? And if I am going to host it in the company server, how I am going to achieve it? I am new in web development and I want to make sure that my very first application will be secure from data theft. Thank you!

In ASP.NET, you can choose to compile your code before deploying it to your server. This is what the Publish command does in Visual Studio. It compiles your .ASPX and .CS files into (one or more) DLLs that are then uploaded to the web server.

Maximum data security can be achieved by obfuscating your pre-compiled DLLs (for e.g. EAZ Obfuscate). So that no one can do reverse engineering easily.

If you host your website on hosting services, they give you credentials for both accessing control panel and database. So, in my openion its quite secure. For applying more security you need to opt for secure channel in web hosting.

For more information on code security, refer:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc188938.aspx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.