I need to get data from a site programatically using WebClient in ASP.NET. This website loads data by sending an ASP.NET Ajax request (using ASP.NET ScriptManager) to the server. Try selecting an geographical state and then click show on the page. Paging operations are also performed using ASP.NET Ajax.

I have analyzed the request very carefully using Firebug in Firefox and trying to replicate this request on hurl.it. I have added all post parameters and Request Headers that I think useful. But no luck. I am always getting following response.

"179|error|500|The page is performing an async postback but the
ScriptManager.SupportsPartialRendering property is set to false.
Ensure that the property is set to true during an async postback.|"

Is that really not possible to making stand alone ajax requests..?

If possible then please tell me what I am missing. You can see what I have done here

Remember, I do not own this website. So I do not access to any server-side code of this site.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Remember, I do not own this website. So I do not access to any server-side code of this site.

Why are you using someone else website? Are you trying to duplicate the code from the link you provided?

The post you created seem to head to that direction. I don't think anyone can help you with that.

This is the official website of "University Grant Commission (UGC)" in India. It has a list of all colleges in India (just list, not much of details). I want to grab data from this site and want to present them in my website with a lot of additional information about the colleges. Doing it manually will take too much effort.

Please help me :-(

It has a list of all colleges in India (just list, not much of details). I want to grab data from this site and want to present them in my website with a lot of additional information about the colleges.

The answer is NO. The reason is that if that website has this:

http://www.wduffy.co.uk/blog/how-to-consume-an-xml-feed-in-aspnet-rss/

then you can grab those lists (not the code).

If you have that code too then you can grab those lists (not the code) from that website. It needs to go both ways.

Doing it manually will take too much effort.

The only solution now is just enter the data manually.

I don't want to look on the server side code. I know it is completely illegal for doing such activities.
I want to just send the GET/POST request on the server and get response as a normal user does but doing it programatically.

I want to just send the GET/POST request on the server and get response as a normal user does but doing it programatically.

You can't the reason is that you need a feed from that website in order to get that data. So there is no advise I can give you. The only way (the correct way) re-enter the data.

The only way (the correct way) re-enter the data

No, I'll not. We are the techies and I will find my way. What I will do is:
I will visit the site manually and will append the all rows in a new table on the same page (using jquery) then I will copy the source of just new table and will process it using HtmlAgility.

No, I'll not. We are the techies and I will find my way. What I will do is:

This thread you post doesn't make any sense at all. Explain to me why you are copying the code from the website

I will visit the site manually and will append the all rows in a new table on the same page (using jquery) then I will copy the source of just new table and will process it using HtmlAgility.

This not a solution at all. But in the end, you still need to enter the data manually because even you copy the code you don't know how the query and database structure works.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.