I have a data table adapter that returns a single column and I would like to assign the column to a string variable. Can anyone help me on this. it seems very simple but when I use this syntax

GpsitDataTableAdpater provider = new GpsitDataTableAdapter();
string CarrierString = Convert.ToString(provider.getProviderByDevUID(1789));

it returns the table title "DEVICE". when I test the select statement, I get the right column but, when I used in the context above, I get the table's title.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,
This is how i do it for SQL databases

Dim SQLda as New SQLDataAdapter
Dim SQLTable as new Data.DataTable
Dim SQLRow as Data.DataRow
Dim Value as String

SQLda = New SQLDataAdapter([I]SQL_SELECT_STATEMENT[/I], [I]CONNECTION_STRING[/I])
SQLDA.Fill(SQLTable)

For Each SQLRow in SQLTable.Rows
    Value = SQLRow([I]Column_Name[/I]).toString
Next

Is there another implementation that works better with C#'s table data adapters. I tried your recommendation and it did not work for me.

Are you needing to keep the values in a data table or are you pulling them to use as an array? What exactly are you needing, if you can post it!

I want to use them as an array that I can iterate through and Possibly produce different output. For example let say my my database content looks something like this.

Column StartDateTime = 2007-12-12 11:00:00:000
Column EndDateTime = 2007-12-17 04:00:00:000
Column TimeZone = 3

I would like to evaluate the value for the TimeZone and subtract or add the value to the StartDateTime and EndDateTime.

If I can load the values into an array, I can use a foreach statement to do the mathematical operation and return and return the datatable to be binded to a formview later.

Thank you for responding.

well I am not a C# man, infact I have never used it besides for helping those with problems on this and other forums. Sorry for the late response. I can do it in VB and use www.codechanger.com to change it to C#. Below is the C# code I would use, and use a reader, not a datatable unelss you need updating. It's quicker and more efficient:

void Page_Load(Object s, EventArgs e) {
    SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["con"]);
    SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("SELECT COMMAND OR STORED PROCEDURE NAME",con);
    //Use below line if stored procedure
    //cmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;

con.Open();

ArrayList arr = new ArrayList();
    SqlDataReader dr = cmd.ExecuteReader();

while(dr.Read()) {
        object[] values = new object[dr.FieldCount];
        dr.GetValues(values);
        arr.Add(values);
    }

dr.Close();
    con.Close();
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.