Hi, I tried installing MS SQL server 2008 on win 7 Ultimate x86.
It was slipstreamed installation with SQL SP1.

I got 7 errors during installation.

All of them are showing almost similar messages (but different event ids)except the 2nd error (which was about failure to open some registry).

The snapshots of these messages are:
Error 1
Error 2
Error 3
Error 4
Error 5
Error 6
Error 7

Below are some MS SQL Server failure reports:
Installation Progress
Complete with Failure

Solved

I had SQL registry folders already because SQL Server Express edition was installed with Visual Studio. This must be the case for you, to get such errors.

I did following:

1. First performed the slipstream as explained here.
  2. Set all .exe files to run as administrator by right clicking the exe files-> selecting "Properties" -> "Compatibility" tab -> "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox

I did this for all of the following files:

• setup100.exe
    • FixSqlRegistryKey_ia64.exe
    • FixSqlRegistryKey_x64.exe
    • FixSqlRegistryKey_x86.exe
    • LandingPage.exe

that I found in folders:

• C:\SQLServer2008_FullSP1\ia64
    • C:\SQLServer2008_FullSP1\PCU\x86
    • C:\SQLServer2008_FullSP1\x64
    • C:\SQLServer2008_FullSP1\x86
  3. Set the permissions for following registry folders to your currently logged in account Right click {below folders}-> click "Permissions..."\Select your current account from "Group or user names" list-> in below "Permissiions for {account name}" list tick Full control->click "Apply"->click "Ok":
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Redist
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Redist
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Redist
  4. Now run the setup as administrator (also set it run as Administrator in exe files Properties->Compatibility tabs, just for safety)(the setup.exe in C:\SQLServer2008_FullSP1\)
  5. That's it. This should work.

Note:
If you don't find your current account in "Group or user name" list of registries or exe's properties you need to add it to the list by clicking: Edit -> Add... -> Advanced... -> Find Now -> Select your account in Search Result -> OK -> OK -> tick Full Control -> Apply -> OK -> OK

Hope this will also help others. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.