Hello,

I was looking around for some tutorials about how to backup my database in my hard disk using SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager.

Can someone explain me in a friendly and step-by-step method? (screenshots preferred)

Thanx so much in advance

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi,
Attached is a zip file with the steps--hope it will be helpful

Thanx,

One more question,

After I perform a backup, how do I burn the backup file in a CD? I mean I cannot see a file with the name I provided, its hidden or something?

Thanx

No--the file will be on the drive specified e.g D:/ --with the name that you have specified in the Add dialog box-(Image 3 in the file sent previously)-e.g Backup. Once you have found the file--burn it to the CD.

Any idea, wot extension they have?

doesn't have a file extension.

Member Avatar for Geek-Master

MS SQL DB Backups by default have the .BAK file extension.

I searched my C:\ drive both by file name (that I provided while backing up) as well as *.bak but could not any such files. any idea?

PS: Backup was done successfully.

Do you backup to a "backup device" or to an individual file? A backup device will store several backups into one file and that could be a reason you can't see your recent backup.

I backup to an individual file

What you can do is create a new folder called "Backups" and place it directly on your C: so it looks like "C:\Backups". Backup your database to this new folder. If there is no file in it after a successful backup try hitting F5 while you still have the folder opened to refresh Windows Explorer. If there is still no file and Enterprise Manager states that the backup was successful then I'm not sure what more can be done.

:rolleyes: Thanks, thats the ordinary way to create backup with sql2000 feature. What i mean is how to run the backup feature with the vb6 code.]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.