`pacID` INT(8) NOT NULL,
  	INDEX (attID),
            FOREIGN KEY (`attID`) REFERENCES `attractions` (`attID`),
                ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE,
        INDEX (`pacID `),
            FOREIGN KEY (`pacID `) REFERENCES `a_packages` (`pacID `),
                ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE
) ENGINE=InnoDB;

Im confused as to which constraint reference option that i should be using.
I have the above mentioned DB set up at the moment, and have set up my constraints however i'm rethinking my FK constraints. Should i be using the cascade reference option or should i be using restrict ?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It depends on the result you are after. Both have very different results. A good refferance to your question can be found in the book ( SQL for MySql Developers ) Written by Rick F. van der Lans: Page 551

Paul

I notice you don't have a primary key, which would result in MySQL creating an index on the PK automatically.

It looks like you are building a linking table and that the two fields mentioned are in fact a joint primary key. So if you made them a joint primary key, neither would need the index declaration.

@drjohn, you would be correct in assuming that i am building a linking table to avoid M:M relationships, and i'm using the two fields (attID and pacID) as joint keys. Is the fact that i do not need to declare them as index's because the primaries as index forms themselves?

@laup599 - Thank you for the book reference, i will dl the book as soon as i can and give it a look. thankyou again

Yes, declaring a column or pair of columns as the primary key automatically means they will be indexed.

Yes, declaring a column or pair of columns as the primary key automatically means they will be indexed.

Thanks. I appreciate the help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.