I need a connector to connect from a application running on Windows CE machine to a MySQL Server. Is there anything like this for both ARM and x86?

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Haven't been able to find any yet. I think your best bet is to create a webservice as intermediairy.

Haven't been able to find any yet. I think your best bet is to create a webservice as intermediairy.

This actually could be a intresting solution.

I would run this web service on a Windows Embedded Compact 7 running on a ARM processor though so Im not completely sure its possible BUT I would be willing to give it a chance.

What steps do you suggest I do?

Does your MySQL run on a server that has also a web server running? If so, I'd suggest building a simple REST server, to accept an incoming request, get the required data from MySQL and return it (e.g. in JSON or XML format).

The CE machine would only be a client, and getting a web request should be straightforward.

The MySQL server runs on a Synology NAS which I BELIEVE also has the ability to run as a web server.

How do you find how exactly I would set up a REST server? I heard of JSON but IM not sure if its related or not.

What about SOAP? Would this work?

What about SOAP? Would this work?

Yes, that works too.

Yes, that works too.

So basically I would build a "SOAP server" and then my application running in Windows Embedded Compact 7 would call it and it would get data?

Is this the idea?

I looked up how to make a SOAP server and its kind of....confusing..

Is this the idea?

Yes.

I looked up how to make a SOAP server and its kind of....confusing..

That's why I suggested a REST server at first, the implementation and usage is much simpler.

That's why I suggested a REST server at first, the implementation and usage is much simpler.

The thing is that the IDE I use for developing a embedded app on Windows CE does comment about using SOAP but it comments nothing about REST so Im not completely sure it is compatible

What IDE is that, Visual Studio? Talking to a REST service requires not much more than a (Http)WebRequest.

a

What IDE is that, Visual Studio? Talking to a REST service requires not much more than a (Http)WebRequest.

We are talking about a embedded industrial application. Nothing on a PDA, POS, smartphone, etc :)

VS does not do embedded devices anymore I believe

VS does not do embedded devices anymore I believe

You'll need VS2008 I think. We use it still to program handheld scanners.

Have you tried ADOCE DLL? I haven't used it in several years now but it worked about 10 years ago.

I found those files here, but all older official links appear dead.

Im trying to download it but it gives me a .exe which I do not trust.

Any place to directly download those .dll?

The web service route has been discarded.

That "ADOCE DLL" seems intresting. I just need the files.

The dotConnect seems to work (because it accepts the connection) but it has some stupid license issues that dont allow me to use it.

So right now we are with SOAP (which Im trying to implement but I dont see a good way how or at least Im not understand how to do it, any tutoral?) or the ADOCE DLL that was mentioned but I havent been able to find the DLLs.

For example, lets make a simple web service app that I put two numbers, adds it up and it gives me the result of the sum :)

What is the best way to implement this step-by-step? Because Im seeing a connector is impossible.

If it helps the web service and the database will be on the same device.

The device would be a basic Synology NAS; Apache, PHP, etc.... Just to note some of the technologies that would be avaliable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.