Horizontal Fragmentation in Oracle 10g Xpress edition

Member Avatar
Rameshwar Soni
Newbie Poster
19 posts since Aug 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 5 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hello, I want to do horizontal fragmentation of a table say employee. But fragmentation is often related to distributed databases. So i want to ask how can i do this on my single home computer?
Could anyone list out the steps that should be performed. I saw the concept of link but really failed to understand that. Thanks

Member Avatar
debasisdas
Posting Genius
6,542 posts since Feb 2007
Reputation Points: 580 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 476 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 25 [?]
Featured

What exactly you mean by Horizontal Fragmentation ?

What are you trying to achieve ?

Member Avatar
Rameshwar Soni
Newbie Poster
19 posts since Aug 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 5 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

In horizontal fragmentation a relation (table) r is partitioned into a number of subsets r1,r2,...,rn. Each tuple (row) of relation r must belong to atleast one of the fragments so that the original relation can be reconstructed if necessary.

This is an assignment and also i do not accept complete solution. I will post the entire question so that you can understand what i want to achieve

Create a global conceptual schema emp(eno,ename,address,email,salary) and insert 10 records. Divide emp into horizontal fragments using the condition that emp1 contains the tuples with salary=10000 and emp2 with 10000<salary<=20000 on two different nodes. Fire the following queries:
1. Find the salary of all employees.
2. Find the email of all employees where salary = 15000.
3. Find the employee name and email where employee number is known.
4. Find the employee name and address where employee number is known

Any advice will be helpful

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: