I would like some help on this database design I need to have completed by next week. Here's the specs:

I'm creating a custom PC builder application. I've been getting stuck on trying to create the database for it. I would like to be able to enter customer details then select from drop down menu's each part in each category for a complete computer system.

http://i53.tinypic.com/a0e4o3.png

There is a screenshot of my first shot at designing the database in SQL Server 2008.

I'm a little bit confused as to what to do with the associative table and what to do with primary keys etc. I might be going about this entirely in the wrong way as well so if any database design "experts" can give me some pointers that would be much appreciative.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Why name and address is stored in Computer table ?

There should be a separate table for customer.

Why name and address is stored in Computer table ?

There should be a separate table for customer.

Yeah I had originally set that up but my instructor (this is a project for school) had told me that I could put both in the same table under the assumption that customers won't be returning customers as most people do not purchase PC's on a regular basis.

Anyhow the main problem I have is how would I link the components table to computer table. I know I need an associative entity table called ComputerComponents I guess.. But as to to what or how to come up with the primary keys I'm pretty confused and kinda stuck at this point.

Why about a separate Orders table.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.