I have been researching this as I am getting the distinct feeling I will have to transition my code to this soon, eventually.

From your experience, can someone provide a brief overview of the benefits of MySQLi and why I should transition. Is it even necessary? I'm not sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am developing a very large project and want to make sure I do this correctly.

Thank you in advance!
Matthew

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

why I should transition

The MySQL extension is deprecated, so in the next big release it won't be available anymore.

commented: Thank you. +7

Consider also the PDO library, it supports more databases: MySQLi is limited to MySQL and his forks, while PDO can query MySQL, Oracle, SQlite, PostgreSQL, MSSQL and others.

That way you can change database without worrying about rewriting all the code with the specific extensions.

commented: Thank you. +7

Thank you all for your replies. I will transition soon. I appreciate the advice.

Matthew

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.