1.11M Members

Convert DOM object to jQuery object?

How can I convert a DOM node to a jQuery object? I am using a javascript library that is returning a DOM node. I don't know any of its properties. I want to convert it to a jQuery object so that I can work with it.

hi Queen,

Convert DOM object to jQuery object is made by attaching it in a selector

• .jquery,.context,.length,.selector these are some properties of jQuery object.
  • jQuery Objects that are return or created by jQuery()

• Every DOM object is a Node.(except one or two or more).

• The DOM object is the “regular” un-wrapped object you can get without jQuery
  • Dom Elements that are retrieved. Example document.getElementById();
  • .name, .value are properties of Dom object.

So we can covert each other

//From jQuery object to Dom:
var domobject = jqueryObject.get();

//From Dom to jQuery object
var jqueryObject = jQuery(domobject);

Example:

//From Dom to jQuery object
var overlayContent = document.createElement("div");

The keyword this tells to the DOM element to which the handler is bound, so ‘this’ is not a jQuery object, but it just one step away from making it into jQuery by using $(this).

I'm not being able to understand what would "jQuery Object" mean exactly, since I don't use it. But...

I suppose that when referenced upon - these jq., dom objects - are somehow wrapped by it enabling you to use few or more extra methods not available on DOM api, - than the quickest run about might be by setting its "display" property to 'none' and perhaps give it an ID before appending it to the document so you can create a jQ handle for it with a conventional jQuery call as with any other element.

It's a workaround, but might serve you well until some other more direct route is found.
This is, of course - in case that the code from above didn't work for you.

Isn't it about time forums rewarded their contributors?

Earn rewards points for helping others. Gain kudos. Cash out. Get better answers yourself.

It's as simple as contributing editorial or replying to discussions labeled or OP Kudos

You
This article has been dead for over six months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article