The title may be a bit confusing, but here is what I am trying to do..

I have three different <select> fields, named city, state and zip code.

What I would like to do is have the visitor choose a state from the first <select> field. When they choose their state, I would like to automatically load the city <select> field with all the cities from that state (I have all the city / state / zip info stored in a database).
Finally, after choosing their city, the zip <select> should load all the appropriate zip codes for that city.

I know how to do this with PHP, but I can't have the page reload because this is going on a sign up form..
I have spent the last two days searching the internet on how to do this, but cant find anything, so I am hoping I can find some help here!

Thank you very much for your time :)

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

For get data you can use following script:

<head>
 <script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
 </head>
 <body>
    <script>
        $(document).ready(function()
        {
            $("#state").change(function()
            {
                var state = $(thia).val();//get select value
                $.ajax(
                {
                    url:"get_city.php",
                    data:{s:state},
                    success:function(responce)
                    {
                        $("#city").html(responce);
                    }
                });
            });
        });
    </script>
    <select id="state">
        <option id="423">Alabama</option>
        <option id="424">Alaska</option>
        <option id="425">Arizona</option>
    </select>
    <select id="city"></select>
    <select id="zip"></select>
 </body>

Above is an example to get data for the "state" to others by analogy.

Thank you for the tip! I will try it out shortly and post results here

I just copy / pasted your code above, I am assuming the following are typos?

var state = $(thia).val();//get select value
$(thia) should be $(this)

and

(responce) should be (response)

Is that correct?

radow,

I have the get_city.php side working, but the city select field isn't changing..
I have the jquery lib included, so i am not sure why this is?

My PHP code is as follows:

$db = new PDO(///// PDO connection details /////);
$state = $_REQUEST['state'];
$s = $db->prepare(" SELECT name FROM cities WHERE statecode = ? ORDER BY name ASC");
$s->execute(array($state));
$s->setFetchMode(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
$city = $s->fetch();

while($city = $s->fetch())
echo "<option>" . $city['name'] . "</option>";

If I view get_city.php directly in the browser (and append ?state=PA), it shows all the cities in the appropraite state. So the PHP code is working properly, but I think the problem is is that is not getting passed back to the signup page, but I'm new to JS, so possibly I am doing something wrong there

Ok. I adjusted my code.

{
            {
                var state = $(this).val();//get select value
                $.ajax(
                {
                    url:"get_city.php",
                    type:"post",
                    data:{state:$(this).val()},
                    success:function(responce)
                    {
                        $("#city").html(responce);
                    }
                });
            });
        });

Still no dice; the city field does not get populated for some reason...

You can view the page I am trying this on here:

https://fling-finder.com/site/signup

Also, here is the code that I have:

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script>
        {
            {
                var state = $(this).val();//get select value
                $.ajax(
                {
                    url:"http://fling-finder.com/get_city.php",
                    data:{state:$(this).val()},
                    success:function(response)
                    {
                        $("#city").html(response);
                    }
                });
            });
        });
    </script>

<div align="center"><h3>Sign up for free on Fling Finder</h3></div>

<form name='signup' action="" method="post">
<table class="table" cellpadding="5px">
<tr><td>First Name</td><td><input type="text" name="fname" required=required size="35"></td></tr>
<tr><td>Last Name</td><td><input type="text" name="lname" required=required size="35"></td></tr>
<tr><td>Username</td><td><input type="text" name="username" required=required size="35" maxlength="20" <?php if(isset($uname)){ echo "value=".$uname;}?>  placeholder="Only alphanumerical characters, spaces and underscore allowed"><div id="signupdiv">
</div></td></tr>
<tr><td>Password</td><td><input type="password" name="password" size="35" required=required <?php if(isset($password)){ echo "value=".$password;}?> ></td></tr>
<tr><td>Date of Birth &nbsp;&nbsp;<em>(YEAR-MONTH-DAY)</em></td><td><input type="text" name="dob" size="35" required=required value="<?php echo  (date("Y") - 18).date("-m-d"); ?>"></td></tr>
<tr><td>I am a</td><td><select name="gender" required=required><option value="Male">Male</option><option value="Female">Female</option></select></td></tr>
<tr><td>Seeking a</td><td><select name="lookgender" required=required><option value="Male">Male</option><option value="Female">Female</option></select></td></tr>
<tr><td>Email</td><td><input type="email" name="email" size="35" required=required></td></tr>

**    <tr><td>State</td><td><select name="state" id="state"><option value="<?= MYSTATE; ?>"><?= MYSTATE; ?></option><br /><?= states(); ?></select></td></tr>
    <tr><td>City</td><td><select id="city" name="city"><option></option></select></td></tr>
    <tr><td>Zip Code</td><td><input type="text" name="zip" size="35" maxlength="5" required=required value="<?= MYZIP; ?>"></td></tr>**
    <tr><td>About Me</td><td><textarea rows="20" cols="36" name="about_me"  onfocus="this.value=''; this.onfocus=null;">Tell other members a little about yourself. Please enter at least two sentences.</textarea></td></tr>
    <tr><td></td><td><input type="checkbox" name="agree" value="1"> &nbsp;&nbsp; Agree to <a href="<?= URL.'site/terms'; ?>">terms of use</a> in order to register</td></tr>
    <tr><td></td><td><input class="btn btn-primary" name="submit" type="submit" value="Finished!"></td></tr>
    </table>
    </form>

Nevermind!
I was logged into my Mac, and restarted in to Windows, and now the script works. I think that I simply needed to clear the cache from my browser.

Thank you so much radow!

One last question,

When doing the zip code field, I need to use both the city and state in my PHP query, but being new to JS / Jquery, I cannot figure out how to modify this to send both the city and state values to my php script:

<script>
        {
            $("#city").change(function()
            {
                var city = $(this).val();//get select value
                $.ajax(
                {
                    url:"http://fling-finder.com/get_zip.php",
                    data:{city:$(this).val()},
                    success:function(response)
                    {
                        $("#zip").html(response);
                    }
                });
            });
        });
    </script>
data:{city:$(this).val(),state:$("#state").val()},

Change this line to line number 11 in your the script writed above. and line number 6 can delete, it don't use

Just wanted to say thanks for your time helping me! Feel great to learn new things

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.