Does anyone know any good "Graduation Year" Calculator Scripts out there?

I was thinking something somewhere along the lines of a simple dropdown box with grade levels, then a textbox to the right that would populate based on the current day/year. The tricky part would be to have the script recognize that the school is from August to May, and that the Graduation year is the May year of the 12th grader.

Using the today() javascript should do the trick, right?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

http://lamorindasc.com/_js/agegroup2.js
I found this script, if it helps. It's just a calculator of which soccer division a kid can play in based on their grade. Kinda cool, but it has to be adjusted per year. I'm thinking if they included today() in there somewhere, it could automatically update.

<link href="http://lamorindasc.com/css/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://lamorindasc.com/_js/agegroup2.js"></script>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

<table width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolorlight="#000000" bordercolordark="#FFFFFF">
          <tr>
            <td>  <form id="form1" method="post" action=""><table class="agtable" >
              <tr>
                <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" ><h3>2013-2014 Age Group Calculator</h3>
                  <p>Fill in the birthdate, then press &quot;enter&quot;.</p></td>
                </tr>
              <tr>
                <td width="560" bgcolor="#FFFFCC" ><strong>Player's Birthdate</strong>:
                  <label for="dob"></label>
                  <input type="text" name="dob" id="dob" onChange="checkAge()" >
                  &nbsp; format: YYYY-MM-DD</td>
                </tr>
              <tr>
                <td><strong>The Age:</strong> </b>
                  <input type="text" name="age" id="age" size="5" maxlength="5" readonly/>
                  &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<strong>The Age Group:</strong> </b>
                  <input type="text" name="agegroup" id="agegroup" size="5" maxlength="5" readonly/>
                  &nbsp; &nbsp; (automatically filled in for you)</td>
                </tr>
              <tr>
                <td><input type="reset" name="reset" id="reset" value="Clear" /></td>
                </tr>
              </table>

</form></td>
            </tr>

</table>

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

if you are looking for good "Graduation scripts out there", that kind of makes me think you're trying to cheat you're way through, which is what I hope you're not.

so far, what you described is about five to ten minutes work, and sure, there are tons of jquery libraries "out there" that can do this for you, but whether or not you'll impress anyone if this is supposed to show your skills on graduation time ...

No, I don't even need it. I was just wanting to know how it's done. It seems possible, and I was surprised I couldn't find one just lying around. I have no clue how to get this done; I'm not that good yet. I just try to play around with different things to learn more, then usually that knowledge leads me to be able to do other things when called upon. Kinda like a poor man's training course. If you would rather not give me a full script, I'll gladly take a starting point. Maybe a link elsewhere? But again, not extremely necessary. I just love learning from you guys.

If anyone were ever to ask me for some kinda grad calculator, I would just make a table then update it each year for them. But that wouldn't be cool at all :-)

OK, I've searched and searched, but have come up with nothing even close. If someone could offer me ANY advice on how to get started, that would be awesome. As I said, I don't need it, but I would love to learn how to do this.

I've found this script: http://www.harrold.org/rfhextra/clascalc.html

I've figured out how to adjust the formula a bit to make it show one year, rather than a span... but I still can't figure out how to integrate today's year in the mix. I hope that helps.

Member Avatar for diafol

You need to know the start date of the academic year. September 1st?
Which date format are you using? mm-dd-yyyy? You could use a datepicker for this to help direct correct formatting to your script.

Ok. I'll google that. Thanks. Is datepicker a JavaScript function?

Member Avatar for diafol

No a datepicker is a doohickey (widget) or UI control. There are hundreds out there, some are designed to work with vanilla js, some with framweworks, like jQuery, Dojo, MooTools, Prototype etc. Google for datepicker and have a look at their functionality and looks. Many of them can be skinned to your liking. jQueryUI has a nice one - good documentation and live demos.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.