hi all.

I have a form in page1.jsp. the action for that form submit is in page2.jsp

so I want to just come back to the page1.jsp after processing the request.(reload the first page again)

so in page2.jsp, how can i redirect the display page to the page1.jsp

here I tried to used the "<jsp:forward page=" tag
but my request is not to forward only the request object
I wanna redirect the page

thanks...

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

instead of JSP use servlet, so from page1.jsp send form to servlet where you validate and process the form and after that you can get back to page1.jsp
Question is why do you want to go back? It is because of error which is OK, or some other reason which is unclear to me...

NEVER use JSP scriptlets. They are the single worst part of the system and should never have been introduced.

Please share the non-scriplet way for us uneducated folks.

here i wanna add some data to the database and show the first page again to add another data.

so the request processing task is done in the page2.jsp . the form is included in page1.jsp

here i wanna add some data to the database and show the first page again to add another data.
so the request processing task is done in the page2.jsp . the form is included in page1.jsp

OK thas fine if you want to go back to page1 for more data, but you shoudn't connect to database and process request in JSP, you should do it in servlet. That is what servlets are build for

Please share the non-scriplet way for us uneducated folks.

Any decent book about JSP will teach you to use JSTL and/or JSF instead of scriptlets.

Of course many books you get cheap or find pirated online are old ones from before JSTL even existed, or written by people who don't care about teaching things properly but only want to get rich quick selling books to schools.

That's great, but since you're trying to teach us how NOT to use scriptlets, I'd love to know the right way to do this.

<%
response.sendRedirect("someUrl");
%>

Please share. :D
I'm much more a C# person than Java these days and the Java I did do was on an old crappy server that didn't fully support JSTL, so I have no idea how else you would do this. This is what Sun had on its site. Please tell me the better way to do this so I know for future reference.

commented: Little respect wouldn't hurt +0

Do NOT do that in a JSP, use a servlet...
How hard can it get.

JSP are for PRESENTATION only, NEVER for application flow control or business logic.

That's great, but since you're trying to teach us how NOT to use scriptlets, I'd love to know the right way to do this.

<%
response.sendRedirect("someUrl");
%>

Please share. :D
I'm much more a C# person than Java these days and the Java I did do was on an old crappy server that didn't fully support JSTL, so I have no idea how else you would do this. This is what Sun had on its site. Please tell me the better way to do this so I know for future reference.

_______________________________________________________ Reply from shobana
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your code helped me a lot..
Thank you

<c:redirect url="http:www.someurl.com" />

is goto statement available in jsp?

Don't use GOTO in jsps. Start a new thread where you explain what you are trying to achieve

<%pageContext.forward("page1.jsp");%>
Hope this Helps :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.