I have a flash website that is reading from php database with a control panel to change the content of the website by the owner.

My problem is that when i enter some characters like (,) (&)(") the text gets truncated and won't see the rest of the text after any character of those.

The php database is storing all text correctly, but when displaying it in flash its stopping when encountered with one of the characters...

How can I encode the characters before entering them in the database so that the flash wont get messed up?

I hope I'm clear. Thank you for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I believe you have to use url encoding to get Flash to read it. For example, %26 will be displayed as &. Here's the urlencode manual.

Yeah, I tried using &amp; but it truncated the text. I don't believe Flash interprets html. I know the <br> tag gets displayed as plain text.

Yeah, I tried using &amp; but it truncated the text. I don't believe Flash interprets html. I know the <br> tag gets displayed as plain text.

Oh, I didn't know that. But there must be a work around.. :-/

oh right thats what i was looking for.. thanks a lot i'll try it in a while and i'm sure its gona work. :)

I believe you have to use url encoding to get Flash to read it. For example, %26 will be displayed as &. Here's the urlencode manual.

oh yes flash does understand html tags, but you have to set the text property to dynamic or input and then click a button that looks like this: <> and if you mouse over it says "Render Text as HTML".

Alright I stand corrected. I've never even noticed that button. It's so small!

oh yes flash does understand html tags, but you have to set the text property to dynamic or input and then click a button that looks like this: <> and if you mouse over it says "Render Text as HTML".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.