I'm not sure if what I am asking can be done. Basically, there are two different user levels of people who have access to list & detail pages. Once user level 2 finishes their evaluation, it goes to user level 3 who OKs the evaluation. The client wants to have it so that once level 3 checks off 'OK', user level 2 cannot return to that particular detail entry. Is it possible to have a restrict access to certain rows or pages after a particular column has been updated?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm not sure if what I am asking can be done. Basically, there are two different user levels of people who have access to list & detail pages. Once user level 2 finishes their evaluation, it goes to user level 3 who OKs the evaluation. The client wants to have it so that once level 3 checks off 'OK', user level 2 cannot return to that particular detail entry. Is it possible to have a restrict access to certain rows or pages after a particular column has been updated?

You will have to set up a specific scheme that will allow this. For example, I would use one file for the detail page and use the url query string to access the record you want this person to view. for example: http://mydomain.com/detail.php?detail_id=1024 and then use $_GET in your query to the database to pull the data for that page. This record would have a status column and each user would have a roll column. Each time the page is OK'ed the status gets bumped up one and since the user can only view detail pages who's status matches his/her own roll, he/she will no longer be able to view that page. Or something along these lines.

How would I go about doing something like this? I don't even know where to begin on setting this up...I understand the Get function, but not setting a 'roll' or having this change within the database.

Then I would recommend looking for a free source package distribution that will do this for you or start reading tutorials on databases. Basic concepts of programming are simple, functions do most of the work and it just comes down to learning the language and which functions to use when. Working with a database on the other hand is more conceptual and will require some tutorial reading. To give you an understanding, I took 15x2 weeks of basic/advanced working with databases and 7x2 weeks of basic/advanced database design. This is not something that will just walk into without taking some tutorials and practicing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.