I am a newbie to php. I am simply trying to validate input from a login page. However I am always getting a positive boolean value when username is entered or not. Following is my code for the login page;

<form method = "post" action = "entering.php">
LOGIN <br />
<br />
User Name: <input type = "text" size = "10" id = "username" name = "username" /><br /><br />
Password: <input type = "password" size = "10" id = "password" name = "password"/><br />
<br />
<br />
<input type = "submit" value = "Submit" /> &nbsp <input type = "reset" />
</form>
</body>

</html>

Following the code for my action php page ie. entering.php

<?php

If (isset($_POST['username']))
	{
	echo "Username Entered"."<br />";

}
Else
	{
	echo "Username Not entered"."<br />";
	}
?>

And I always get the message "Username Entered" even if the username is not entered.

Can any one help?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

sometimes i found that the form will submit the field with nothing and add it to post array. you need to check and make sure the username is also not empty. you can do this by comparing it to an empty string or use the empty() function.
example:

if ( isset( $_POST['username'] ) && $_POST['username'] !== '' ) {
  echo 'Username Entered<br />';
}
else {
  echo 'Username Not Entered<br />';
}

Why not echo $username and see what is being posted

<?php
if isset($username) {echo $username; }
If (isset($_POST['username']))
 { echo $username."was posted";
 echo "Username Entered"."<br />"; }
Else  { echo $username."was posted";
 echo "Username Not entered"."<br />"; }
?>

Thank you very much for a quick response. It solved the issue. I used the empty() function along with isset() function. It did solve the issue as said.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.