Hi all..

I've learnt a bit of html and css in the last week, and am eager to start with more complex website actions than simply posting widgets..
For instance, allowing comments to be made and feedback etc..

I was wondering whether PHP is a good place to start for this?
any help is greatly appreciated..

thanks in advance
J

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I might first play with higher end javascript stuff such as prototype or jquery. Not much to learn with them, but it will make you a much more polished developer, and save you a TON of time.

PHP5 is a good next step.. Ruby on rails is also good, but less support.

PHP is arguably the easiest to learn, most supported, and most powerful language for web apps. PERL is a close 2nd. Java is a too cumbersome for web application programming. C/C++ as CGI aren't really used much anymore. ASP is microsoft, so I don't like it. Ruby runs slow right now, but it truly object oriented and nice.

Just about anything you want to know about PHP is found in google.com and php.net

While learning in-line PHP is probably the easiest way to learn PHP, I'd recommend learning class/MVC PHP to make good habits. And then throw a framework on top of it such as Prado (if you are used to Microsoft style programming) or Smarty.

Thx..
Although, hehe- some of that went over my head..

so, prototype and jquery are just other tools to play with? Or they can substitute for PHP?

also, what did you mean by putting a framework on top of the PHP?

J

prototype and jQuery are javascript libraries. They make doing things in javascript a lot easier. This is completely separate from php.

and a framework is a set of code that gets added on to the main code, that makes things easier, more uniform, and more organized. That's about the best I can explain it.

I think PHP is a good intro to server-side programming. (Javascript is useful, but since it's client-side only, it can't handle things like form submission or interacting with a database.)

I started learning PHP on my own about the same time I had to learn some ASP/ASP.NET for my job, and PHP is definitely easier to learn on your own.

I started with a book, "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP and MySQL" by Kevin Yank. It was very good for a beginning, although the cheesy humor may not be for everyone's taste. I've been working with PHP for over a year now and am currently reading "PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thompson (Addison-Wesley). It's well-written, but more dense. Have a look at both books to see if either of their styles suit the way you learn.

w3schools.com has some good online tutorials and a reference guide to PHP (among other languages) that's more streamlined than the official docs at php.net

Good luck.

Don't forget Ajax which is like javascript cross php. It allows client side to server side interaction.

Hello,

Simple Formula;

Javascript(For client side scripting)
PHP (Server Side Scripting, if already a c++ programmer, its most suited)
when feel handy using both,
try AJAX(Communication B/w Client Side and Server Side)

You will Do BEST.

Best of luck

recently i also wroking so hard on web-design stuff
PHP CSS ,,,,,
I really need more help
and and thanx for sharing

Personally, once you are very comfortable with HTML/CSS, the next step I would take is to learn JavaScript, and then after that learn PHP. I say that because it would give you a good intro to the more advanced languages without being overwhelming to learn. And also, languages like PHP will require some knowledge of JavaScript to make your site more functional, and to dump off some of the load from your server.
Happy coding!

Member Avatar for diafol

For me, php and SQL structures were the 3rd/4th after XHTML and CSS. I didn't pick up JS until a lot later. Basic JS was reasonably easy as pHp and JS are quite similar - well, I think so anyway.
You can build great dynamic websites without a single line of JS. You can build a snazzy interactive website without any pHp/Mysql. If you want dynamic and interactive, use both.

Ajax is the reason I learned some JS.

Absolutely, PHP is just an amazing and powerful language to learn. However,with the goal you're trying to achieve, you will need AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript And XML) and PHP to build a web app that allows users to comment on things and the system get updated asynchronously.

Good luck..

commented: necroposting -3

i would say learn javascript before php, javascript makes php allot easyer.

If you are new to PHP i will prefer to go on this link [removed]
yup you are going right PHP is the best place to shape your imagination in the field of web designing and programming , i myself found interest in programming after learning PHP ,PHP is a greate lamguage ever created it is simple to learn an easy to deploy.
And in the nut shell it is open source,!!!!!
voila learn it , deploy it, feel it, enjoy it.

Member Avatar for diafol

If you are new to PHP i will prefer to go on this link [removed]
yup you are going right PHP is the best place to shape your imagination in the field of web designing and programming , i myself found interest in programming after learning PHP ,PHP is a greate lamguage ever created it is simple to learn an easy to deploy.
And in the nut shell it is open source,!!!!!
voila learn it , deploy it, feel it, enjoy it.

OK, you guys have reopened this solved, long-dead thread. God knows why.

I had a look at the mechanic site and would say it's not something I would recommend. The examples are unsafe. Security to my way of thinking should be introduced early on. The examples just develop sloppy technique.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.