I want to make a user profile , where in the people can login and fill in profile details .
Well basically i am wanting to make a connection between the alumni of my college with the existing students. So , i initially thought of making the alumni registered and display their profiles on the alumni page of college website.
I would be glad if you could help me out in going about this thing , since i am a noob in this field .
So what do you need? Google php login scripts and profile pages!
If you want to roll your own:
1) login form - can be an 'include file' that can be placed on a number of pages.
2) login form handler script (avoid placing this on the same page as the login form)
3) register form - put this on a dedicated page
4) register form handler script (again avoid placing this on the same page as the registration form) - sends confirmation link to user's email address
5) registration confirmation page - processes the confirmation link sent to user's email.
6) edit profile page - allows users to edit their own profile (secure)
7) memberlist page - list of all members* - loads of options for this!
* you can list members as:
1) a straight list, with a link to a profile page
2) a list of members, each with a profile
You may want to set up a forum or something similar for your members to communicate. This forum type thingy could even handle your login/registration for you.
Well thanks for such elaborate reply .. it was really helpful .
I am fully aware of forum (phpbb) and this interface doesnt require that , cuz , i want the current college students to have an interaction with the alumni , not the alumni among themselves .
So , for the current students , they can search for alumni members and based on the search result , the suitable profiles must be displayed .
The next step what i thought of was, when the profile is displayed , i also wanted the questions previously asked to him , to be displayed in a fashion of comment and reply.
the reply option must be visible only for the alumni member (who logins) and the comment ( or ask question) must be available for the visitor . In this all the questions and the reply of alumni members can be displayed.
i appreciate your help , and i intend to do this all by myself .
Its just that , i am pretty good in making the front ends with jquery and joomla and other web tools . But a little naive when comes to server side scripting.
Use the database design suggested by 'arday' And also create a table called 'al_profile'
$con = mysql_connect("db_host", "db_user", "db_pwd");
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM al_profile WHERE member_id='".$_SESSION['SESS_AL_ID'] ."'");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
echo "Live in: "."<b>".$row['Address']."</b>"." | "."Born on : "."<b>".$row['Birthdate']."</b>"." | " ."Gender : "."<b>".$row['Gender']."</b>";
This gives you an alumni's profile. Add more row s and use the same code. You can also use a search algorithm to display the list of alumni for better results like done on 'facebook'. After that use the hints given by 'arday' and create a HTML form and whatever fields you want.
BUT REMEMBER, ALL THE FIELDS YOU HAVE HERE MUST EXIST IN THE DATABASE TABLE.