Hi,

I am busy working on a subscription site and am in need of some help. I don't have a merchant account and therefore cannot take credit cards directly. I see paypal has a service for $20 a month that allows you to take credit cards. I'm confused as to how I would integrate this into my site's subscriptions. How do I make sure they paid before updating their subscription status in the database? I'd like for it to be automatic as opposed to me doing it manually. Does anyone have experience with this that can explain to me how they went about the process? Doesn't have to have anything to do with Paypal.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hey, you need to use IPN (Instant Payment Notification) for PayPal. You shouldn't have to pay 20 a month if you just use a regular paypal account too. There are a lot of IPN Subscription scripts available to help you

Will this allow my script to automatically update subscription status or will I have to manually do it through my admin panel?

I really appreciate the help by the way.

This is a class that makes it pretty easy to use PayPal with IPN:
PayPal Interface

If you try it an have any problem figuring out how to use it, let me know and I can give you a sample.

Thank you so much, I will try it out and update this thread accordingly.

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for! Everything seems to work great. I haven't been able to completely test a transaction yet because I'm making this site on my machine, everything is just localhost. This means the IPN can't get sent back and the proper action taken, but everything else works great and I'm sure this will work once I put the site up on my server. Thanks for all the help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.