Hello everyone,

I don't where should I post this thread, but since my project (document tracking system) will be using PHP, maybe I just post it here.

Would someone tell what should be the features or modules of my project,
here are my listing as of now:

-a module for user maintenance
-user log-in module, the main page or the index page
-e-mail like interface for document forwarding
-document attachments

but these are just few. Some of these are not that clear and I want to know more.

Thanks in advance. :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

this depends on how you're implementing 'modules'. Are they modules as in classes or just pages that deal with certain tasks?

login/registration
user profile
sharing (email)
private messaging?
file upload, details and storage
commenting and rating system?
admin area for account admin

Your DB will act as a central store for all the various bits of info.

commented: Thank you for your help! :) +2

Depends on your definition of a "module" judging by what you've outlined and what ardav also outlined, I would say those are more like the objects that belong in the service level of your application.

Either way, there is no defined list of "must have" functionality. Design your application and decide what should or should not be part of the application. Or provide more of the concept of what you're trying to achieve and I'll be happy to provide you more insight.

Oh! thank God!, someone have replied...I've been cracking my head out for a week about this. Thank you ardav and mschroeder !!

Yes!, the modules that I was talking about are the pages that do certain tasks.

@ Sir ardav, regarding the destination of the files that are being or will be uploaded, where should I put it or set the destination of the file? What are the methods that may be more efficient?

Should I have to convert these files (in JPEG format) into BLOBS and insert that to the database? or should I just store the file somewhere on the server's disk?
Any suggestions? or maybe some other methods.

Thank you. :)

-------------------------------------

@ Sir mschroeder, the "must have" functionality?, so I think what you're saying is what will be the scopes and the limitations of my project. I'll try to list it down into much detailed outline.

As for now...Hmmm...where should I put it into words.

the project I was working, is for a certain department in a City Hall (Mayor's Office), now this department's tasks is to accept, approve, and disseminate the letters that they receive. depending on the type of the letter.

after the approval process, the letter will then be checked on what department should it be passed, these letter could be (request letters, appointment letters, and such...)

now, once checked, the letter will then be forwarded into the next department, after the next department have finished processing the letter, the letter will then be forwarded to the next department, with user remarks, these remarks are between the handlers of the same document where users exchange comments/remarks about the document, for further information.

after the letter have gone through all the departments, and have been approved, the letter will then be sent to the archives department.

As of now, these are the major workflow process of the department. I'm sorry that I cannot discuss further details because, I'm still adjusting what should be my project support for a current task.

Sorry for my English grammar, as this is not my first language. :P

Hey PoisonedHeart,

For storing files it is best to store the location of the file rather then the file as a blob in the database itself.

So when you upload the file via PHP, you have to know the file path of where the file is placed so that bit of code is what you would store in the database. For example you would store "/path/to/file.jpg" in the database. Then recall the file out of the database and link to it by putting it in a normal <a href="<?php echo $variable_file_path; ?>">File stored on server, path in database</a>...something along those lines.

Thanks,

David

Oh! thank God!, someone have replied...I've been cracking my head out for a week about this. Thank you ardav and mschroeder !!

Yes!, the modules that I was talking about are the pages that do certain tasks.

@ Sir ardav, regarding the destination of the files that are being or will be uploaded, where should I put it or set the destination of the file? What are the methods that may be more efficient?

Should I have to convert these files (in JPEG format) into BLOBS and insert that to the database? or should I just store the file somewhere on the server's disk?
Any suggestions? or maybe some other methods.

-------------------------------------

@ Sir mschroeder, the "must have" functionality?, so I think what you're saying is what will be the scopes and the limitations of my project. I'll try to list it down into much detailed outline.

As for now...Hmmm...where should I put it into words.

the project I was working, is for a certain department in a City Hall (Mayor's Office), now this department's tasks is to accept, approve, and disseminate the letters that they receive. depending on the type of the letter.

after the approval process, the letter will then be checked on what department should it be passed, these letter could be (request letters, appointment letters, and such...)

now, once checked, the letter will then be forwarded into the next department, after the next department have finished processing the letter, the letter will then be forwarded to the next department, with user remarks, these remarks are between the handlers of the same document where users exchange comments/remarks about the document, for further information.

after the letter have gone through all the departments, and have been approved, the letter will then be sent to the archives department.

As of now, these are the major workflow process of the department. I'm sorry that I cannot discuss further details because, I'm still adjusting what should be my project support for a current task.

Sorry for my English grammar, as this is not my first language. :P

Member Avatar for diafol

Same as PWs - DB for storing locations/filepaths and file data, not the actual file itself. Have an uploads folder.

Your problem occurs when multiple users upload files to the same folder - they could overwrite or even delete (if they have this right) somebody else's file. You could give the stored files a new name, e.g. username_unixtimestamp.jpg. The DB logs all name changes - stores the old (original) one and the new one. This means that the user can still recognize his/her file to overwrite or delete (from the orig name).

There are numerous other methods for storing uploaded files though. Some will result in creating a million subdirectories, so be careful. You may find visual filesystem organizers useful - pgrfilemanager is a tidy one.

FOR a new project - forget the PC. Get a big - very big piece of paper and a pencil. Start throwing ideas and link them up etc. Get creative. You can take solace in the fact that pretty much anything you want to do has already been done (no offence, but your project sounds pretty standard), so there will be plenty of help out there, even tutorials. As long as you don't try to build the next DIY version of Facebook!

Plyswthsqurles and ardav

I'll do what you guys suggested...

Regarding the multiple user upload, maybe I'll just set some restrictions on the users.
Hmmm... and about the pgrfilemanager, maybe I'll just explore it a bit. Because it's my first time in using this kind of applications. :D

Many Thanks to all of you! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.