How can I avoid negative numbers from being inserted in my database table?

i have a code that works but will not prompt until the value itself in the table is below 0.

$nega = mysql_query
            ("SELECT * from `bgl` where product_code = '$product_code' and stock > 0"); 
            $row = mysql_fetch_array($nega);

if ($row['stock'] > 0){
        $query1 = mysql_query("UPDATE `bgl` SET stock = stock - '$quantity' 
                where product_code = '$product_code'");

die ("<center><font size = 5><br><br><br>Item added to Cart.Continue shopping?
        <a href = BGL.php>Y</a>   |<a href = homepage.php>N</a>");
            }
        else echo "</ br>Out of Stock.";

How can I modify this so when the user enters a value, let's say 20 but the value is only 10 in the database, it will not be updated?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'd suggest something like this:

UPDATE `bgl` SET stock = stock - '$quantity' WHERE product_code = '$product_code' AND stock - $quantity >= 0

it does not update anymore, thank you very much. but the data is still inserted in the table order.
oh yeah. here's the full sql code:

`$nega = mysql_query
        ("SELECT * from `bgl` where product_code = '$product_code' and stock > 0"); 
        $row = mysql_fetch_array($nega);

if ($row['product_code'] = $product_code && $row['stock'] > 0){
    mysql_query("INSERT INTO `order` VALUES ('','$user','$product_code',
    '$total','$quantity','$date','$img')");

$query1 = mysql_query("UPDATE `bgl` SET stock = MAX(stock, stock - '$quantity') WHERE product_code = '$product_code'");

die ("<center><font size = 5><br><br><br>Item added to Cart.Continue shopping?
    <a href = BGL.php>Y</a>
    |<a href = homepage.php>N</a>");
        }
    else echo "</ br>Select Product Code";`

I tweeked it a bit.

but the data is still inserted in the table order

That part was not in your original question. I am not psychic ;)

oh sorry haha. I thought it would work so I didn't post the part about the insertion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.