Hi guys,

I don't know if this is posted in the correct area, so forgive me if it isn't but I couldn't find a proper area for this.

What I would like to know is this.
I have a computer running windows 7 professional. Connected to my home hub, I have a hard drive where I store all my stuff. It is a buffallo hard drive with 1 terrabite of storage, so plenty there. I use this as a 'network' drive.

Now, with me busy playing around with php and mysql for websites, I would like to know if it is possible to use this network drive as a server to host a website that I am doing for myself. Can I designate a folder on the drive to use as a place to host from? It will need to run php and mysql.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

As far as I know (my attempt failed in past) I think on network drive, you can not host apache server.

So if you have some space in your physical harddrive, there you can assing folder for hosting.

Install Apache
Install PHp
Install Mysql

All msi setups available, for windows platform, on there respetives sites.

So from an applications perspective, if you kept the website content located network drive, as long as windows has assigned this network drive a "drive letter", the web server installed on your computer should be able to use this network drive. However, it doesnt make sense to host the application on your windows server, pulling data from a network drive. the performance would be on the floor.

You can use XAMPP Click Here

It will run off anything including a USB stick !

Thanks wayneh, think I will give XAMPP a go.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.