1.11M Members

Automatically insert a bbcode into phpbb forum post

I am trying to setup a custom image hosting solution for a phpbb forum. I know there are ways to host images on the forum but for my purpose I must use an external website to host the images.

I already have a custom image hosting script written and functioning but I am stuck on what is likely the simplest part. I want the bbcode link to be automatically inserted into the users forum post once they submit their image.

There is currently a company that offers this functionality called postimage.org but in recent years they have started adding adult oriented advertisements to hosted images and I cannot allow this as I have a family oriented forum and that is the last thing my members want to see.

Any help is appreciated.

This sounds a but tricky.

1. User uploads their image to your server via the phpBB forum.
  2. php grabs the image file and sends it to your 'image hosting site' - I assum you have an API for this.
  3. php gets the return value (via API) - which could be the image filename or url or the new image.
  4. get the whole shebang into some BBCode.

is that what you're doing?

Perhaps a mod like this?

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1612565

That is pretty much exactly what I am trying to do. That is what the old image hosting site did.

I am having trouble with the image hosting side, I am trying to setup the hosting script to send the bbcode back when the user submits their image.

You can do the bbcode stuff on your server, you just need the url, don't you?

Yes the bbcode stuff is done on my server. Just like you said I simply need to return the url of the uploaded image.

Unless you give more info, I can't see what advice I can offer. What site is hosting the images? What info is returned when you query it / upload an image? Does it have an API?

For example, FLickr's API for uploading can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/services/api/upload.api.html

You
This article has been dead for over six months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article