I have a Drupal 7 question, related to extending a theme's regions. I've been to the official Drupal site, where this has been batted around with no solutions, on StackOverflow and a few other places. I'm continuing to troubleshoot it, but haven't hit upon a solution yet.

I set up a number of custom regions for a custom home page template, and was able to position them and assign blocks to them as I wanted. They appear in my Blocks list and anywhere else where the regions for my theme are listed. So far, so good.

However, at random, any blocks I assign to these regions will disappear. When I look in the _block table of the database, the value set to the region field is -1 (ie., not assigned), and I have to go in and reassign the blocks for these regions. This happens whether I cache my blocks or not. It does not happen when I run a cron or clear my cache. As this only happens to my custom fields, I feel like there is something else I should be doing in addition to setting up my regions in the theme's and subtheme's .info files, that would make block assignments to these regions as persistent as they would be to a standard region.

A number of people have reported this over at Drupal.org, but no one has been able to come up with an answer. I've researched this for the last several weeks, and looked through any scripts that might store or rewrite my database. It always happens overnight, but not at any reliable interval: I can go a week without it happening, or I can go a day. It does not happen on the offline XAMPP stack I use as my development server. There may be something going on with my web host, but as this is a very specific problem, and a number of other Drupal developers are finding the same problems, I am thinking it has to do with how my custom regions are set up. I used the directions at this blog: http://megadrupal.com/blog/add-new-regions-in-drupal-7-themes. I have posted a question about it there, but have not received a reply yet.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and have you resolved it. I'm using Drupal 7.9, by the way.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I have a Drupal 7 question, related to extending a theme's regions. I've been to the official Drupal site, where this has been batted around with no solutions, on StackOverflow and a few other places. I'm continuing to troubleshoot it, but haven't hit upon a solution yet.

I don't think you'll get any direct answer here either because it's Drupal platform. I knwo you mention you post this issue at the Drupal forum which is good. I haven't seen any members recently that post a issue with a code in Drupal maybe regarding to WordPress. I think maybe you have to wait a little longer. I'm sorry to tell you that. I mean if noone answer this question at StackOverflow and a few other places including Drupal forum.

I know you want to find a solution but you have shorten the description. I mean you wrote 4 paragragh without any code to see what is the issue.

You wrote 4 paragraphs try to shorten your paragraph to just 3 to 4 lines as a summary and provide the code maybe you'll get more response.

I narrowed the problem to my daily cron tasks. I disabled the default set of tasks and it hasn't happened since. However, I still need to isolate the task that is doing this, which I haven't had the chance to do yet. I'll post my solution once I've found it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.