Hello There! Im trying to study php on my own. But i have a problem installing "xampp". So please help me.

this keeps on showing:

10:27:35 AM [mysql] Expected Path: d:\xampp3\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=d:\xampp3\mysql\bin\my.ini mysql
10:27:35 AM [mysql] Problem detected!
10:27:35 AM [mysql] Port 3306 in use by ""C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\bin\mysqld" --defaults-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\my.ini" MySQL"!
10:27:35 AM [mysql] MySQL WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
10:27:35 AM [mysql] You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
10:27:35 AM [mysql] or reconfigure MySQL and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
10:27:35 AM [main] Starting Check-Timer
10:27:35 AM [main] Control Panel Ready

what should I do?

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

what should I do?

@Ms New to Java

You might need to re-installed it again.

Can you post an image of this:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#521

to see where you are at?

I know the screen image is from xampp but on your end so we can see what you done so far and see why it's causing the issue.

ok ahmm, but i dont know how to post a picture here.. im sorry :(

Ohh here... this is the image!

It seems you already have MySQL 5.5 installed and running on your machine. By default, MySQL uses port 3306, and if you install multiple instances of MySQL on the same machine, by default they will all try to use that port. However only one of them can do so at a time.

You have three options:

• Uninstall the existing MySQL instance. (Make sure you back up the data!)

• Re-configure either the existing or the XAMPP MySQL instance to use another port. You can do so by opening the options file for the instance you want to change, and change/add the value for port under the [mysqld] section. - See 4.2.3.3. Using Option Files in the manual if you are new to this kind of thing.

• Shut down the existing server while the XAMPP server is in use.

Hello @Atli , what does that do? will it change the port?
Thanks for replying!

What does what do? Like I say, you have options. You can choose to change the port for one of the servers, shut down the running server, or even remove one of them completely. You need to choose which of those options you'd prefer.

The only thing you can't do is try to run two MySQL servers at the same time using the same port, which is what you are attempting now.

You could just use the MySQL server that is already installed and avoid using the MySQL server installed with XAMPP. It doesn't really matter; there is nothing that says your XAMPP installation must use the MySQL server bundled in the XAMPP package.

hi @Atli im sorry for the late reply, how can i change the port?

The link in the second point I posted before explains how to change options for a MySQL server. It even has an example that includes the port value.

Hello i had the same problem, i solved it and now i get this message. What can i do?

MySQL Service detected with wrong path

6:12:26 μμ  [mysql]     Uninstall/disable the other service manually first
6:12:26 μμ  [mysql]     Found Path: "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\bin\mysqld" --defaults-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\my.ini" MySQL
6:12:26 μμ  [mysql]     Expected Path: c:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=c:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini mysql
6:12:26 μμ  [main]  Starting Check-Timer

Hey. I suggest you ask new questions in news thread, rather than attaching them to year old unrelated threads.

I'll say this much here tough: XAMPP has it's own MySQL instance. It's generally not a good idea to run other MySQL instances as well. Not unless you know how to configure them to run smoothly side-by-side.

Also note that you don't have to use the MySQL instance that comes with XAMPP. If you already have one installed, you may as well just ignore XAMPP's MySQL instance and use the existing one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.