Hello,
Please how can I development a PHP application that Apache OpenOffice products can be installed into(e.g. Like Web OS).

Thank you.
Tony.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Not sure if PHP is the right tool for this. What did you have in mind? What do you expect PHP to do?

Hello,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I want to develop a web app (like Web OS) where openoffice product can be installed into. I mean that can allow openoffice product to be installed and used like other applications.

Thank you.

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm not sure what you mean by "install into". You may well be able to create documents programmatically via PHP and you may even be able to run 'macro'-type programs written in php, via the API - not sure about that. BUT, I can't see how PHP can be used to write and OS-type application that can run openoffice. There are ways to get php to open local files, but I really don't think this will work. Anybody else?

It looks as if someone has already done this:
Click Here

They used something called "Cloud It Up" to convert Open Office to an online version.

These aren't free and PHP probably doesn't really come into. Doing something in PHP probably means re-creating Open Office using PHP and that would be a pretty massive undertaking.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I appreciate it all.
What I meant to say is: I want to develop a PHP platform like joomla or openerp where php apps can run.
How and what do I need to know and how can I start.
I am just an intermediate php progammer.

Thank you.

Member Avatar for diafol

If you want to develop a joomla / drupal / wordpress clone then good luck - not for the faint-hearted and if you're doing this on your own, you'll probably need a couple of years!

I'm not sure what you mean by letting php apps run - php apps run pretty much on their own on a webserver/dbserver. Are you looking at building some sort of portal or developing implementations of popular apps?

Do you have an example in mind?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.