Does anybody have any insight into using PHP Sessions on an IIS based web server? The problem I am having is that I am using PHP sessions in my counter to make sure that a user is only counted once per visit. It is supposed to ignore them as they click through links on my site. This works great on my Apache based server, but only works for Dial up users on The hosting Service's IIS based server. Broadband users are counted for every click. Tech support informs me that the sessions are in fact being created. the code is as follows:

session_start();
if (!session_is_registered("counted"))
 {
 mysql_query("UPDATE simplecount SET count=(count + 1) WHERE count_id=1") or die ("unable to UPDATE the database.");
 session_register("counted");
 }

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Does anybody have any insight into using PHP Sessions on an IIS based web server? The problem I am having is that I am using PHP sessions in my counter to make sure that a user is only counted once per visit. It is supposed to ignore them as they click through links on my site. This works great on my Apache based server, but only works for Dial up users on The hosting Service's IIS based server. Broadband users are counted for every click. Tech support informs me that the sessions are in fact being created. the code is as follows:

session_start();
if (!session_is_registered("counted"))
{
mysql_query("UPDATE simplecount SET count=(count + 1) WHERE count_id=1") or die ("unable to UPDATE the database.");
session_register("counted");
}

Thanks.

URL to the site is: http://rerun.dataegg.com

I'm pretty sure it's a bug\quirk with PHP and IIS. I had a problem with IIS expiring sessions. I tried several ways to expire sessions under IIS and nothing. It would work under an Apache server though. I asked about a million people what could be wrong and no one knew.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug\quirk with PHP and IIS. I had a problem with IIS expiring sessions. I tried several ways to expire sessions under IIS and nothing. It would work under an Apache server though. I asked about a million people what could be wrong and no one knew.

That is what I thought it was, Ijust wanted to know that I am not the only one who thinks that way. I guess I should get them to switch us to Linux/Apache?

That is what I thought it was, Ijust wanted to know that I am not the only one who thinks that way. I guess I should get them to switch us to Linux/Apache?

Well, all I can tell you is that I've had a lot of problems with IIS and PHP regarding sessions. If it's not going to be a hassle switching over, I would recommend it. PHP is made to shine on Linux running Apache. Then again, you could have other apps depending on IIS, so I would consider that as well. If you do decide to run on IIS, make sure you have the newest version with all the patches.

Well, all I can tell you is that I've had a lot of problems with IIS and PHP regarding sessions. If it's not going to be a hassle switching over, I would recommend it. PHP is made to shine on Linux running Apache. Then again, you could have other apps depending on IIS, so I would consider that as well. If you do decide to run on IIS, make sure you have the newest version with all the patches.

Thanks, that is what I will proboaly have to do. My stuff should not be relying on anything that windows exclusively supplies. I programmed it for PHP/CSS/Mysql/Dhtml. to my knowledge none of those are microsoft exclusive technologies. thanks again for the insight.

rwieren

No problem. Let us know if you need any more help/insight. :cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.