I am looking on hotscripts for content management systems, and there are just so many. Many of them are bloated with junk I don't need (but may have use for soemtime down the road if I start building all my sites with this engine). Some are too stipped too - what I really want is a CMS that is extremely easy to change, and let's me design each element rather easily. It would be ideal if it was easy to mod rewrite too. Some of these packages have a bajillion files, some have a bajillion things I don't need, and some just stink. I need on that creates menus based on categories and is easy to incorporate. Most importantly it needs to be easy to mod tho. Anybody have anhy favorite content management systems that they find easy to work with?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Just to update ... I was pretty sure that the infamous DevShed uses Mambo to power their site (which is QUITE the compliment for mambo, I must say). I wasn't 100% though ... but I just viewed the source of DevShed and noticed this line:

<script language="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.devshed.com/includes/js/mambojavascript.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Seems like pretty good evidence, eh? :)

yup, seems they do. Mambo is quite a nice and robust CMS, but it is a bit more than I need. I may just have to write my own :\

yup, seems they do. Mambo is quite a nice and robust CMS, but it is a bit more than I need. I may just have to write my own :\

Well mambo is open source you can take out things which you dont want and develop mosules which you need quite easily. It all depends on using the CMS for a little while and getting the feel of it.

i heard alot of good things about mambo. Features rich and SE friendly.

hi,

if you setup a goal to write your own CMS soon you will end up the same problems as other CMS's encountered. You may not foresee some problems that will require minor or major code rewrite and it may took some time - 1-2 month(s).

you will have to made a decision for yourself.

Svet

if you setup a goal to write your own CMS soon you will end up the same problems as other CMS's encountered. You may not foresee some problems that will require minor or major code rewrite and it may took some time - 1-2 month(s).

1 - 2 months is quick!

I've been working on a CMS for about 6 months. It's almost past Beta 1 stage =P

I disagree about encountering the same problems as with other CMSs (different goals have even more different solutions); and the long time is generally down to the constant feature adding and isolated testing and then composed re-testing and then repeat and then repeat.

Minor and major code rewrites are a part of every software project.

EDIT: Wow this is an old thread O_O

If you are looking for simple CMS that can integrate into any existing website than maybe Instant Update. On other hand if you looking for something that will generate links, posts etc for you than Joomla.

Hi, 
we can get many features in both joomla and drupal.For an example Drupal is much more flexible when it comes to the development and setting up the theme and layout of the website. Joomla! is known to be surrounded by the paradigms set by itself, and offers less scope to be flexible.
So Both having different kind of features which depends on processing..

thanks.

i m using ZOOMLA from 1 year...it's very easy to maintain n moreover quite good apps are available for it...i would prefer to use ZOOMLA....

I think it is spelled with J in the beginning.
I'd say use the one that you're the most effective with.

First of all you should have an clear idea that why will you do with your CMS?

Because there are so many good CMS available free of cost and with full support like Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress .....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.